Why Join Nando's
‘Why Nando’s?’ That’s a good question, but also a question with no definitive answer. In fact, if you asked everyone who worked for us, you’d probably get a different answer every time. For some it may be the fact that we’re the kind of name that’s on everyone’s lips. For others it may be the fact that we’ve won awards for being a great place to work and continually invest in our people. To be on the safe side, we’ll go over a few of the reasons why people join us.
A responsible business
Of course we want to serve up unforgettably memorable Nando’s experiences every day and every night, but our responsibilities as a business go much further than that. We continually strive to make our business as good as it can be, in an environmentally and ethically responsible way.
While it’s a serious endeavour, we wouldn’t be Nando’s if we didn’t approach what we do with a whole lot of enthusiasm, fun and innovation. We like to think that’s why it’s not just one or two of us doing this, but everyone right across the business. All looking for ways to do the right thing across three key areas.
Our people and communities
- Work experience: We’re passionate about giving real opportunities to young people across the UK. So you’ll regularly find us working alongside organisations to offer work experience in our restaurants.
- Community activity: Our family culture means we love doing things together, and no more so than when it’s for a great cause. All over the UK our restaurants choose to act on causes close to their hearts.
- Diversity: We’re proud to be home to people from all kinds of different backgrounds, but to us diversity is more than creating an inclusive culture. It’s about maximising the opportunity our diverse opinions and talents can bring to the business.
- Recycling: More than 95% of our restaurants sort dry mixed recycling (glass, cardboard, plastic), and over 50% are able to recycle the food waste too. (Increasing every day!) We also recycle the cooking oil and even our uniforms, and donate unwanted equipment and furniture to charity.
- Heat Recovery: Our grills are hot. About 270 degrees hhhot. Since 2010 we’ve used waste heat from the grills to heat the water at our new builds and refurbishments. This means using less electricity as a result.
- Offices: It’s not a big part of our impact, but we’ve made some changes. We segregate all our waste in our offices, fitted LED lights, switched to double-sided printing, drink Fair Trade brews and tap water, and we’ve cold-heartedly ditched plastic cups.
- No chuckin’ our chicken: At the end of a business day, most of our restaurants freeze our excess chicken and hand it over to soup kitchens and homeless shelters.
- Food waste: Best waste is no waste at all. However, for the unavoidable food waste, over half of our restaurants send it off to anaerobic digesters to be used as fuel to make electricity and fertiliser.
- Sourcing policies: All our chicken is Red Tractor, even in Ireland. We’re also committed to sustainable sourcing. 100% of our soya and palm oil used as ingredients is certified sustainable.