Course Leader - Nationwide
Ultimate Survival Course Leader - Bushcraft
Reporting to: Ultimate Survival Product Manager
Summary of Position:
Ultimate Survival, part of Ultimate Activity Camps is a leading provider of holiday childcare in the UK, with a focus on bushcraft and outdoor education. Our trusted holiday camps operate at venues across the country and offer outstanding provision to children and peace of mind to their parents.
The role of Ultimate Survival Course Manager is to oversee the effective running of our Ultimate Survival Courses.
Working alongside and supported by your team of instructors, you will ensure the welfare and safety of the children on camp is maintained at all times, and deliver outstanding, structured outdoor education activities and workshops to groups of children.
You will be expected to deliver (with supporting resources) bushcraft activities to children aged between 7 and 14 years, with the emphasis being on participation, structure, care and development. You will have a pastoral role, being key contact for children, parents and staff on camp, taking a lead in maintaining their welfare and providing high quality care.
The week long workshops throughout the holidays will focus on fun, excitement, teamwork and skill building.
As well as leading sessions, staff will contribute to the high standard of physical, emotional, and social care offered by Ultimate Survival.
Roles include accommodation (camping) either on or near the venue.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Directly manage a team of instructors selected for you, to ensure they deliver the quality of care and standard of outdoor education activities expected at Ultimate Survival Camps.
- Inspire your staff to deliver a great bushcraft experience by leading by example with energy and fun and enthusiasm.
- Ensure all policies and procedures on camp are adhered to by yourself and the children in your care, including all health and safety, and safeguarding procedures.
- Continuously promote the welfare of the children in your care
- Liaising with the Ultimate Survival Product Manager and other members of Head Office with updates and queries
- Point of contact for parents on camp, in person and on the phone, including feeding back any issues arising on camp.
- Manage all administrative duties on camp, including Sign-in and out procedures, registration, staff rotas etc.
- Prepare and deliver activities for children aged 7-14, focusing on participation, development, safety and enjoyment.
- Encourage participation through enthusiasm and energy in scenarios and role play.
- Manage the set up of The Ultimate Survival Camp by attending a Camp Induction Day and pack down the site at the end of the season.
- Take a pastoral role on camp, supporting and caring for children throughout the week and during the weekly camp-out.
- Supervision of children outside of activity times.
- At all times behave in a manner that reflects the expectations of Ultimate Survival Camps.
- Live up to the company promise of ‘Inspiring Children Everyday’ throughout your employment
- Show the required energy, enthusiasm and professionalism for the duration of the season, acting as an ambassador for Ultimate Survival Camps and behaving as a suitable role model for children.
- Other ad-hoc duties (cleaning, equipment maintenance/ordering etc.)
- Qualified in relevant NGBs, outdoor education or teaching.
- Hold relevant NGBs or experience in all or some of the following: Canoeing, Archery, Quad Biking, Bush craft and environmental studies
- Previous experience within outdoor education (Bush craft specific) and significant experience working with children in an outdoor setting
- Enthusiastic, energetic individual, passionate about working with, and developing children through adventurous activities
- Natural leader, able to confidently motivate and manage staff
- A breadth and depth of knowledge within the field of outdoor education
- Excellent communicator, with confident face-to-face customer service skills
- Good organisational and communication skills
- Flexible, team player, able to adapt to dynamic situations and challenges
- Good working knowledge of survival activities, able to support other staff in delivering excellent structured activities and workshops.
- Good decision maker, able to quickly assess and make informed judgements
- Pro-active and conscientious, able to adapt to situations when required
- Someone looking for a challenging, different but hugely rewarding and fun job in the holidays, as well as the opportunity to further their career in the Outdoor Education, Adventure, Childcare and Coaching industry
- Previous camp work experience preferably in a senior or managerial role
- Current outdoor or paediatric first aid qualification
- Seasonal work available in School Holidays (May Half Term and Summer only)
- 8am – 6pm week days. Full time or part time roles available. One overnight shift per week required
- Camping accommodation available onsite or nearby