Retail & Plant Sales Assistant - Stoke-on-Trent
Our retail teams are at the front line of raising the funds we need to deliver our cause, whilst delivering an exceptional service for our visitors.
Our Garden Shop and plant sales area is very popular with visitors to Biddulph Grange and we now have 2 openings for Retail & Plant Sales Assistants to join our front of house team working on an hourly paid, fixed term basis.
What it's like to work here
Biddulph Grange Garden is a Victorian garden created by Darwin contemporary James Bateman as an extension of his beliefs and scientific interests. His plant collection comes from all over the world - a visit takes you on a global journey from an Italian terrace to an Egyptian pyramid, via a Himalayan glen and Chinese-inspired garden.
What you'll be doing
With your passion and love of plants and gardening you'll help run the garden shop and ensure our products look their best by regular watering, pruning and other essential plant maintenance.
You'll also provide an excellent service by acknowledging, welcoming and engaging every visitor, offering them help and advice with their purchases. This means maintaining a thorough knowledge of our array of products and plants, so you’re always on hand to help, and by ensuring that all stock is correctly priced and the shop is maintained to a high standard.
As a key member of our garden shop team, you’ll maximise the profit and sales generated at Biddulph Grange by ensuring that every opportunity is taken to increase our sales and average customer spend. When interacting with our customers, you’ll inform them of the amazing work we are doing, and what their money is funding – whether this is financing local projects or promoting our national strategy, cause and membership offer.
Who we're looking for
Our team believe that people deserve more than just ‘good service’ but an amazing experience they’ll never forget, and we are looking for like-minded people to join us.
You'll need to;
- Have a keen interest in plants and gardening
- Have clear communication skills and be able to easily identify with customer needs
- Take pride on delivering excellent customer service
- Enjoy working as part of a team
- Have some cash handling experience
- Be helpful and friendly
Looking after you
- Health cash plan – from as little as £2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking