Sous Chef - Swansea
We are currently recruiting for a Sous Chef to join our highly successful team here at Village Hotel Club Swansea. Based in modern and contemporary surroundings you will be required to contribute to the hotels success. You should have a warm, personable nature, can do attitude and eye for details.
You will know and understand what it means to deliver amazing hospitality and will thrive on the challenge of always exceeding guest’s expectations. You will be expected to achieve a level of service through the constant monitoring of our established brand standards. As a result you should be highly attentive to detail and be capable of delivering consistent standards. In this type of industry teamwork is key; you should be a strong team player willing to lend a hand wherever needed. In return we will offer you second to none career opportunities.
Why choose us?
We work towards the highest levels of guest satisfaction; as such you will be part of an award winning team who deliver amazing hospitality constantly. If you are truly passionate about a career in hotels then we want to hear from you.As an expanding company with new hotels in the pipeline and a commitment to grow our future General Managers from within we are in a unique position to offer fantastic career progression backed up by training and development at every step of the way
To be successful in your application for this position, please read the following:
Your role is to work with quality ingredients and deliver great dishes across our varied food outlets, to a consistently high standard.
You achieve this by supporting the Head Chef in leading and developing the team to operate within company and statutory obligations.
- Ensure that all aspects of kitchen activity are co-ordinated to create a professional, safe, hygienic and cost effective working environment.
- Ensure smooth flow of work in the kitchen, determining portion size and examining temperature, quality and appearance of the finished produce before serving to the customer.
- Monitor and be a role model for all standards to ensure that the workload rate is sufficient to ensure the efficient running of the kitchen operation and the avoidance of interruptions to service.
- Adhere strictly to food hygiene regulations according to FRESH, HACCP and EHO directives.
- Ensure that food items are delivered in appropriate packaging and all items are checked and temperature at time of delivery is recorded.
- Ensure that food items are handled, cooked and served to company specification in accordance with FRESH.
- Supervise trainee chefs, particularly when they are using potentially dangerous equipment.
- Assist other chefs in their section when required.
- Establish and use clear lines of communication within the kitchen operations and with food service staff.
- Report all faults or damage to equipment in accordance with hotel procedures.
- Have extensive knowledge of statutory health and safety, security and emergency procedures.
- Maintain operations standards to the highest possible level in respect of service, hygiene, health and safety and ensure there is minimal wastage.
- Assist the Head Chef in costing and planning menus following company and hotel guidelines.
- Check BEO sheets and changes log daily, liaise with sales team for updates.
- Ensure there are adequate supplies of groceries, wet fish and fresh foods available that meet the required quality standard.
- Carry out regular checks on deliveries to ensure that the quantities are correct and that the quality standard is maintained.
- Carry out regular checks on fridges, freezers, stores etc
- In the absence of Head Chef, liaise with Environment Health Officers and Trading Standards Officers and convey information onto the GM/Head Chef immediately.
- Assist the Head Chef in the production of budgets for the department by providing accurate information that adheres to GP targets.
- Ensure the profitability of the department keeping wages/costs and expenditure within budget through forward planning and effective use of Rotapro.
- Assist with developing, implementing and maintaining induction procedures for new team members in consultation with PD Manager.
- Assist with training team members to the required quality standards which comply with the Company’s health and safety policy/emergency procedures to meet statutory obligations.
- Assist with carrying out 4 then 10 week reviews with new staff and six monthly Vibe chats with existing team members ensuring issues raised and training needs identified are conveyed to the Head Chef and dealt with accordingly.
- Assist with carrying out investigations, disciplinary and grievance procedures when necessary in conjunction with the PD Manager.
- Attend weekly operations meetings.
- Lead and motivate staff and encourage NVQ training, to obtain maximum commitment and efficient service.
- In the absence of the Head Chef, maintain daily briefing and de-briefing sessions with your team members
- Sustain a working environment that supports the company’s objective of consistently treating its employees in a fair and reasonable way.
- Previous all-round experience in a branded environment
- Good general education/basic IT skills
- Intermediate Food Hygiene certificate
- Good knowledge of food hygiene legislation
- Ability to keep calm under pressure
- Standards orientated with an eye for detail.
- Ability to supervise and team build effectively