Lifeguard - London
Reports to: The Aquatic & Fitness Centre Manager
Hours: Full time, including evening and weekends
Start Date: ASAP
The Lifeguard is responsible for the preparation, cleaning and general safety of the pool area in the Aquatic & Fitness Centre, including administering first aid. The main responsibility of the Lifeguard is to ensure the safety of all pool users at all times. They will be involved in setting up, taking down, and maintaining the equipment in the pool area, and carry out some receptionist duties when not on poolside. Working hours include evenings, weekends and public holidays 40 hours per week.
Summary of duties
- Ensuring safe and secure environment for employees, students and visitors.
- Preparing activity areas to include the safe setting up/dismantling of equipment and ensuring that all equipment is stored safely and securely when not in use.
- Routine maintenance and cleaning of swimming pool equipment and changing rooms.
- Ensuring the highest possible standards of hygiene and cleanliness are maintained by carrying out routine and other cleaning tasks when required.
- Assisting visitors with enquires in a friendly and effective manner, proactively developing and maintaining high standards of customer care.
- Working on reception when required.
- Working as part of a team to ensure the smooth operation of the facility.
- Following Normal Operating Procedures and Emergency Action Plan.
- Accurately filling in forms or reports relating to their normal duties.
- Taking responsibility for the induction and development of new members of staff, students and visitors.
- In a wet-side facility, supervising the safety of the swimming pool environment and working to prevent accidents and emergencies.
- Taking responsibility for the opening and closing of the facilities.
- To administer First Aid as required.
- Take regular water tests.
- Attend Monthly training.
- To assist in the smooth running of the overall Fitness & Aquatic Centre when required to do so by the Manager / Assistant Manager or Operations Manager
- Any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by the Manager / Assistant Manager or Operations Manager.
- Suitable and substantial face to face customer service experience in a similar role.
- Appropriate professional qualifications including RLSS or STA lifeguard qualifications.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and other legislation in relations to leisure center operations.
- Understanding of Normal Operating Procedures and Emergency Action Plan.
- Recognized First Aid qualifications.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- The ability to deliver high quality service with minimum supervision.
- The ability to assist customers and their queries and concerns with tact and sensitivity.
- A proven commitment to the safeguarding and welfare of children.
- Experience working in an educational institution or with young people.
- Exercise to music or fitness qualifications.
- Knowledge and understanding of international and/or independent school communities.
This position description is current at the date shown but following consultation may be changed to reflect or anticipate changes in the role that are commensurate with the job title and salary.
The American School in London is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment. Safer recruitment practice and pre-employment checks will be undertaken before any appointment is confirmed. A disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service will be requested for all successful applicants.
Diversity and equality of opportunity are cornerstone values of The American School in London.