Sous Chef - Manchester Art Gallery, Manchester
Department: Catering Operations
Reporting line: Executive Head Chef, Head Chef
No. of direct reports: Three
Purpose of role
To plan, facilitate and implement a food service that delivers a premium experience on day to day basis and including Events alongside ensuring operational quality and excellence is maintained, to the set service level agreements and profitability.
- Head Chef
- General Manager
- Deputy General Manager
- Conference and Events Sales Team
- Gallery Manager
- Gallery Maintenance Team
- To manage and assist in the preparation of all kitchen areas and ensure that the highest standards of presentation and preparation of these areas is achieved in good time prior to opening each day, including conference and events.
- To cover in the Head Chefs absence/days off and holidays.
- To assist in producing the set food specs with photos and recipe cards for both the Café\ Restaurant and C&E.
- To ensure the highest standards of general hygiene and safe food handling are achieved at all times by all employees within kitchen areas as to the Company health & safety standards and in line with current legislation.
- To ensure the highest standards of food service and food presentation across both the Café\ Restaurant and C&E business.This is to include both buffet theming and plated presentation.
- To react quickly and efficiently to clients requests and changes in arrangements.To communicate such information to the catering office and kitchen where relevant.
- To maintain departmental food control procedures and ensure wastage is kept to a minimum and recorded on both food safety documentation and EATEC to achieve budgeted cost to sales.
- To ensure control of all department equipment ensuring that breakages are kept to a minimum and that the misuse of establishment property does not occur. Reporting any breakdown of equipment to the Head Chef and filing a Caterware maintenance request form.
- To ensure appropriate paperwork i.e. Goods Received, Temperature Record and Fridge Record Sheets, HACCP and COSSH are completed and handed to the Head Chef by set guidelines.
- To oversee that all team members have an allergen matrix for every function, match day or bowl event. To review and update where necessary so that all allergens are captured.It must be accessible to all employees, guests and customers.
- To prepare the casual employee rotas, and any other administration duties.
- To attend weekly meetings to discuss forthcoming business.
- To ensure that all menu planning is produced within given time scale and fully costed ensuring operating targets are met.
- To ensure hygiene audits are carried out regularly and to carry out six monthly risk assessments in all kitchen areas
- To ensure that all food, liquor, equipment and sundry items are charged appropriately to the client via the daily charge sheets.
- To ensure that all employees are trained to a level which enables them to carry out their duties according to departmental standards.
- Encourage personal development, passion for food and innovative thoughts across all skill sets.
- To ensure that all employees and casual employees adhere to the departmental standard of dress and personal hygiene at all times. This is to include PPE (Personal Protective Equipment).
- To ensure that casual employee payroll is kept within the operating targets as set.
- Have a clear understanding of WMX scheduling, the process of clocking in/out and the fire register.
- Be able to support the departmental recruitment and training process.
- Have a thorough understanding of SAGE and the ordering process.Be able fully capable in raising order’s and purchase orders for processing.
- Assist in maximising sales and reducing costs throughout the operation.
To be fully conversant with:
- The standards and procedures within the Stadium for fire, security, H&S.
- The standards and procedures within the banqueting for personal hygiene, food hygiene and safety.
- The operating standards and procedures within the stadium for the service of food and beverage.
- The legal requirements in respect of the sales of alcohol to the public.
- The methods of payment accepted by the Company.
- The standards for cash and payment handling.