Position: Maître d'hôtel
PURPOSE OF POSITION
You ensure a friendly and professional service in the restaurant and bar to the fullest satisfaction of our guests in accordance with Viking River Cruises Standards.
Responsible for the entire service operation onboard
- Supervision/support of a professional welcoming and sales orientated F&B Service
- Ensuring the correct handling of all products, materials and equipment
- Ensuring absolute cleanliness and order in accordance with HACCP rules
- Operation of service procedures according to standards (e.g. menus, decoration)
- Preparation of opening and closing ships at start and end of season
- Organization and execution of F&B related ship functions and special events
- Performance according to company standards and HACCP rules
Management and motivation of the service crew
- Organization, management and motivation of restaurant and bar (7-16 crew)
- Management of work schedules & Training of service department
- Luggage duty on embarkation and disembarkation day & participation in loadings
Responsible for cost control and adherence to set budgets
- Cost control in accordance to the budget
- Establishing of weekly stock order in cooperation with Hotel Manager
- Conduction of stock takes; inventory according to company procedures
- Daily closing of restaurant and bar area cash register
Active liaison with guests
- Welcoming of guests and socializing during meal times
- Conduction of daily menu presentation
Supervisor: Hotel Manager
Gives instructions to: Restaurant and Bar crew
Receives instructions from: Hotel Manager, Corporate Operation Manager
- The holder of the position undertakes not to pass over the company’s information, manuals, information on business developments and EDP data to any third party or publicize or retain same for personal use after leaving the job.
- The company reserves the right to demand compensation for damages in the event of a breach of this instruction and take legal action against the staff.
- Conduct and appearance in accordance with the rules and regulations of Viking River Cruises AG
- Graduated education within hotel / catering industry
- Min. 3 years professional experience in same or similar position in 4 or 5* operation
- International experience / experience on a ship is an asset
- Excellent English skills, other languages are an asset
- Service oriented and guest focused
- Excellent management, organizational and communication skills
- Positive personality, professional appearance
- Flexibility and stress resistance, team player, commitment
GUIDELINES AND REGULATIONS
Job Description • Contract • Company Rules and Regulations • Onboard ABC • Viking College • Uniform Regulation • F&B Manual
Viking Cruises® offers destination-focused river and ocean cruises that are carefully designed with a mix of cosmopolitan cities and collector ports. Founded in 1997 as Viking River Cruises, the company has undergone rapid expansion in the river cruise industry, holding the largest market share and operating the largest fleet with 52 modern river vessels including innovative and award-winning Viking Longships®. In 2013, Viking® announced the launch of its ocean cruise division leveraging the company’s managerial experience in ocean cruising as well its success in the river cruise sector.
Viking employs nearly 4,000 of its own highly trained, English-speaking crew worldwide—all dedicated to making its guests’ stay memorable. Viking’s Swiss management team overseas global operations—from shore excursions to catering and nautical—and offers Viking College, a custom employee training program. Viking has one of the highest retention rates in the industry due to its comprehensive compensation package, employee-friendly benefits and team building spirit.
Viking Cruises is an equal opportunity employer.