Position: Sous Chef
PURPOSE OF POSITION
You prepare meals to the fullest satisfaction of our guests and support the Executive Chef within the set budget and in accordance with Viking River Cruises Standards.
- Professional preparation and distribution of daily meals (including breakfast, lunch, Tea Time, dinner, etc.) for crew and guests in accordance with Executive Chef Manual and menu cycle
- Replacement of Executive Chef in absence
- Assistance in supervising, training and motivating of galley team
- Ordering of stock in cooperation with Executive Chef
- Ensuring perfect order and cleanliness in accordance with HACCP rules
- Cost control for galley within the budget in cooperation with Executive Chef
- Separation and disposal of waste / garbage
- Ensuring correct handling of all equipment and products
- Conduction of stock takes; inventory according to company procedures
- Preparation of opening and closing ships at start and end of season
- Assistance in other departments upon instruction from supervisors (if required)
- Performance according to company standards and HACCP rules
- Participation in loadings
- Correct storage of stock; establishing of par levels
- Active participation in onboard training programs
Supervisor: Executive Chef
Gives instructions to: Utility, Commis de Cuisine, Chef de Partie
Receives instructions from: Executive Chef, Hotel Manager, Corporate Executive Chef, Corporate Operation Manager
- The holder of the position undertakes not to pass over the company’s information, manuals, information on business developments and EDP data to any third party or publicize or retain same for personal use after leaving the job.
- The company reserves the right to demand compensation for damages in the event of a breach of this instruction and take legal action against the staff.
- Conduct and appearance in accordance with the rules and regulations of Viking River Cruises AG
- Graduated apprenticeship as cook
- Min. 3 years professional experience in all areas of a 4 or 5 star operation
- 1 year experience in same or similar position
- International experience /experience on a ship is an asset
- Good English skills, other languages are an asset
- Service oriented and guest focused
- Ability to work independently
- Professional knowledge in all parts of the kitchen
- Flexibility and stress resistance, team player, commitment, positive personality
- Well groomed appearance
GUIDELINES AND REGULATIONS
Job Description • Contract • Company Rules and Regulations • Onboard ABC • Viking College • Uniform Regulation • Executive Chef Manual
Viking Cruises® offers destination-focused river and ocean cruises that are carefully designed with a mix of cosmopolitan cities and collector ports. Founded in 1997 as Viking River Cruises, the company has undergone rapid expansion in the river cruise industry, holding the largest market share and operating the largest fleet with 52 modern river vessels including innovative and award-winning Viking Longships®. In 2013, Viking® announced the launch of its ocean cruise division leveraging the company’s managerial experience in ocean cruising as well its success in the river cruise sector.
Viking employs nearly 4,000 of its own highly trained, English-speaking crew worldwide—all dedicated to making its guests’ stay memorable. Viking’s Swiss management team overseas global operations—from shore excursions to catering and nautical—and offers Viking College, a custom employee training program. Viking has one of the highest retention rates in the industry due to its comprehensive compensation package, employee-friendly benefits and team building spirit.
Viking Cruises is an equal opportunity employer.