Position: Executive Chef
PURPOSE OF POSITION
You are in charge of every aspect of food service operation and the supervision, support and mentoring of all galley staff. You ensure that food and kitchen are up to HACCP standards and operate in accordance with Viking River Cruises Standards, budgets and recipes.
- Responsible for the entire galley operation onboard
- Ensuring professional production and distribution of all meals for guest and crew in accordance with company standards, menu cycle and recipes
- Organization and execution of F&B related ship functions and special events (e.g. Welcome / Farewell)
- Ensuring food safety, highest level of cleanliness in the galley and production areas at all times in accordance with Viking River Cruise standards & HACCP
- Ordering of all food supplies according to production planning and in cooperation with the Hotel Manager
- Conduction of menu briefings with waiter staff prior to service and instruction of waiters to explain dishes
- Preparation of opening and closing ships at start and end of season
- Supervision, motivation and training of the multinational galley crew
- Participation in loadings and conduction of quality control
- Luggage duty on embarkation and disembarkation day
- Responsible for cost control and adherence to set budgets
- Conduction of stock takes; inventory according to company procedure
- Active participation in ship functions, socializing with guests during meal times
Supervisor: Corporate Executive Chef
Gives instructions to: Sous Chef, Chef de Partie, Commis de Cuisine, Utility
Receives instructions from: Hotel Manager, Corporate Executive Chef, Corporate Operation Manager
- The holder of the position undertakes not to pass over the company’s information, manuals, information on business developments and EDP data to any third party or publicize or retain same for personal use after leaving the job.
- The company reserves the right to demand compensation for damages in the event of a breach of this instruction and take legal action against the staff.
- Conduct and appearance in accordance with the rules and regulations of Viking River Cruises AG
- Graduated apprenticeship as a cook
- Min. 4 years of professional experience in cuisine background of a 4 or 5* Hotel or Restaurant, cruise industry experience is an asset
- Excellent English skills, other languages are an asset
- Excellent management, organizational and communication skills
- Skills in every part of international cooking, HACCP rules and standards
- Service oriented and guest focused
- Flexibility and stress resistance, team player, commitment, positive personality, professional appearance
GUIDELINES AND REGULATIONS
Job Description • Contract • Company Rules and Regulations • Onboard ABC • Viking College • Uniform Regulation • Executive Chef Manual
Viking Cruises® offers destination-focused river and ocean cruises that are carefully designed with a mix of cosmopolitan cities and collector ports. Founded in 1997 as Viking River Cruises, the company has undergone rapid expansion in the river cruise industry, holding the largest market share and operating the largest fleet with 52 modern river vessels including innovative and award-winning Viking Longships®. In 2013, Viking® announced the launch of its ocean cruise division leveraging the company’s managerial experience in ocean cruising as well its success in the river cruise sector.
Viking employs nearly 4,000 of its own highly trained, English-speaking crew worldwide—all dedicated to making its guests’ stay memorable. Viking’s Swiss management team overseas global operations—from shore excursions to catering and nautical—and offers Viking College, a custom employee training program. Viking has one of the highest retention rates in the industry due to its comprehensive compensation package, employee-friendly benefits and team building spirit.
Viking Cruises is an equal opportunity employer.