General Manager - Newport International Sports Village - Newport, South Wales
We have a fantastic opportunity for General Manager to join our operations team, with responsibility for our three sites at Newport International Sports Village, where you will be responsible for ensuring a welcoming and safe environment for our colleagues and customers.
You might be a manager looking for a new challenge in the switch from single to multiple sites, or an assistant manager wanting to take the next step in your operational management career; if you have the passion and determination to succeed, we’d love to hear from you.
As General Manager, you will be the key accountable person for operations and activities at the Regional Pool and Tennis Centre, Geraint Thomas National Velodrome of Wales, and Newport Stadium, with responsibility for maintaining all areas (internally and externally) to ensure we meet the highest standards of safety, cleanliness, hygiene, and presentation.
You will be an efficient and effective leader, ensuring high levels of colleague performance and standards to meet our required targets and delivery of excellent customer service. Working in collaboration with our Executive Team, you will help to develop a constructive business plan with responsibility for meeting, and exceeding, associated targets.
Main duties will include:
- Owning the development, management and ongoing updating of Normal Operating Procedures, Emergency Action Plans, Business Continuity Plans and all risk management processes for the facilities, activities and teams
- Ensuring all equipment and mechanical plant is maintained in a clean and safe condition in accordance with manufacturers guidelines
- Ensuring optimal environmental conditions are maintained, looking to reduce energy use and wastage wherever possible
- Motivate and support your teams to help them achieve success in their roles
- Lead on recruitment, onboarding, and training for your teams; ensuring they have the correct resources needed
- Being responsible and accountable for facility performance targets, in particular the achievement of income targets and the management of expenditure budgets, including employee costs
- Reviewing business performance KPI's; taking action to keep on track and providing financial report and insights to our Executive Team
Hours: full time; 37 hours per week with flexibility required around working early mornings, late evenings, and weekends, in line with departmental needs.
Salary: starting at £46,004 per annum, with an increase after successful six-month probationary period to £46,992 per annum
Benefits: 25 days holiday per year plus bank holidays, free Newport Live membership, generous pension scheme, free on-site parking, café discount, cycle-to-work scheme, and wellbeing programmes
Required skills, knowledge, and qualifications:
- Operational management experience in a leisure (or similar) customer-facing environment
- Experience of successful business planning through effective financial and budget management
- People management experience; leading, coaching, and mentoring teams
- Knowledge and understanding of Health and Safety legislation and guidance
- Knowledge and understanding of Safeguarding policies and protocols
- Passion for customer service excellence
- NEBOSH general certification (or equivalent)
- RLSS National Pool Lifeguard qualification
- Pool Plant Operations certificate
Beneficial skills, knowledge, and qualifications:
- Knowledge and/or experience of working for a charitable trust
- RLSS National Pool Management certificate
- Ability to communicate in Welsh
You should have the drive and passion for working in a sporting, leisure, and cultural environment, and demonstrate our core values of Care, Passion, Teamwork, Inspiration, Innovation, and Inclusivity.
This role is subject to a successful Disclosing and Barring Service (DBS) check
Please include a covering letter outlining how you match the role and JD requirements.