Conservation Education Team Lead - Birdworld - Farnham, Surrey
Birdworld is currently at an exciting stage of largescale development. We are seeking a full-time Conservation Education Team Lead to become a key part of this project.
Successful candidate will:
- Build on an established public engagement programme and developing educational resources for our exhibits and for our school programme including evaluating the impact on guests.
- Attend off site meetings, trade shows, outreach, and other related events to represent and promote Birdworld as an event and group destination.
- Implement and develop conservation projects in and around the Birdworld site to protect and monitor native species.
- Develop strong links with our conservation partners to enable Birdworld to offer support and participation in projects within our community, across the UK and around the world. Including how Birdworld can communicate those relationships to the guests on site.
- Work closely with our Marketing Department to produce high-quality content for our social media channels, supporting story telling of the animal collection and ensure maximum public engagement.
- Support the delivery of both seasonal and themed events throughout the year through public engagement and workshops where required and to help to develop future events that can be hosted on site.
- Attend events and conferences as an educational representative of Birdworld.
- Provide encouragement and guidance in your teams’ career development through CPD sessions, performance reviews and presentation observations.
- Any and all other duties as assigned by management.
Skills and experience
- Animal related degree, teaching qualification or equivalent experience in a relevant subject
- Have minimum three years’ experience working in a zoological collection or similar.
- Experience in delivering and driving public engagement and have a solid understanding of educational delivery.
- Experience in developing and delivering conservation projects, with a drive to deliver conservation schemes actively and imaginatively across the park.
- Have strong presentation communication skills and great time management.
- Experience in hospitality and events is preferred but not essential.
- Demonstrated successful experience in organising or managing events and group activities and/or positions requiring substantial public contact, customer service, and community interaction.
- Full UK driver’s licence and access to transport.
This role offers:
- Full-time position, working 38 hours a week.
- Working alongside fantastic species including Penguins, Hornbills, Parrots, Owls, Cranes, Flamingos and various Softbills.
- Widespread opportunities to develop and expand your skills with support to attend industry linked courses and conferences.
- Annual salary: £25,000.
- 20 days annual leave for the first year, increasing thereafter.
- Alternate weekends off.
- Paid overtime at standard hourly rate for position.
- Support and encouragement in exploring local and overseas conservation projects.
- Full outdoor-appropriate uniform.
- Staff discount from our shop and food outlets, discount across Haskins Garden Centres, and free complementary Birdworld ticket allowance for family and friends once you have passed you probationary period.
- Pension plan.
We close recruitment for this role on Thursday 30th November 2023
We reserve the right to close this vacancy earlier than this date, should a candidate meet our desired expectations.
Set within 26 acres of beautiful, landscaped gardens, Birdworld is one of the largest bird parks in the country and is home to a diverse collection of species. This role reports to the Living Collections Manager and will be responsible for developing, coordinating, and delivering Birdworld’s educational program, public outreach activities (including supporting PR and marketing), engagement and interpretation, talks, experiences, and events. You will run a team of passionate Education and Engagement Guides who work throughout the site to support the public engagement with the collection. You will work closely with various departments within Birdworld to achieve these aims and should have a passion for the environment, conservation, and sustainability.