Shift Engineer - Knightsbridge, London
About Jumeirah & the Hotel:
For more than two decades, Jumeirah Group, a member of Dubai Holding, has been making a distinct mark on the global hospitality market with its unwavering Stay Different™ brand promise. Its award winning destinations, including the iconic Burj Al Arab Jumeirah, position service beyond expectations, signature dining experiences and artful surroundings at the heart of every guest experience.
Today, Jumeirah operates a world-class portfolio of 26 properties across the Middle East, Europe and Asia, and employs over 9,000 colleagues, representing over 120 nationalities. As Jumeirah continues to expand its global portfolio and scale up its operations to the next level of growth, we remain fully committed to developing and empowering our colleagues to excel in world-class environments. Jumeirah is committed to embedding equality, diversity and inclusion in all its practices, embracing a culture that celebrates diversity.
Situated in the heart of Knightsbridge, one of London’s most exclusive neighbourhoods, the Carlton Tower Jumeirah is the quintessential address in SW1 where heritage meets contemporary luxury. Featuring 186 beautifully appointed guest rooms, 87 of which have the fantastic benefit of a balcony, a rarity for the capital, enabling guests to take full advantage of the stunning views across London. The property also boasts the city’s largest naturally lit swimming pool, situated at the impressive rooftop health club and spa, The Peak, access to the private Cadogan Gardens and destination Italian restaurant Al Mare.
About the Job:
An opportunity has arisen for a Shift Engineer to join us at The Carlton Tower Jumeirah. The main duties and responsibilities of this role are:
- To carry out corrective and preventive maintenance on all mechanical, electrical, plumbing and audio visual plant and equipment throughout the property.
- To carry out minor repairs to the building fabric, decorative finishes and furnishing and fittings throughout the property.
- Liaise with colleague on preceding shift and check log book for hand over information and action accordingly.
- Liaise with duty manager and telephone operator at the beginning of each shift to confirm attendance and test communications.
- Check function sheets and ensure relevant plant is in operation and set points and time schedules are set to meet demand.
- Check HotSos work order system and action as per the departmental Policies and Procedures manual.
- Liaise with external contractors when required.
- Record in the log book all relevant information required for follow up of any outstanding issues or incidents that may have arisen on your shift; carry out hand over procedures with colleague on following shift.
- Promptly advise your supervisor or duty manager of any serious problems or failures together with any relevant information to aid follow up.
- Ensure that specialist tools supplied by the department are looked after as detailed in the departments Policy & Procedures manual.
The ideal candidate for this position will have the following experience and qualifications:
- Possess advanced technical knowledge and expertise in engineering systems, including HVAC, plumbing, electrical, and building management systems, ensuring the highest standards of maintenance and operation.
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities with experience in leading and managing a diverse engineering team. Ability to inspire and motivate team members to deliver exceptional performance and maintain a high level of service.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to address complex engineering issues promptly and effectively, minimizing downtime and ensuring uninterrupted hotel operations.
- In-depth understanding of local and industry-specific regulations and compliance standards related to building codes, safety protocols, and environmental regulations, ensuring the hotel meets all legal requirements.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, to liaise with team members, other hotel departments, and external contractors. Ability to convey technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Previous experience working in a luxury hotel environment is desirable.
About the Benefits:
Besides generous F&B benefits and reduced hotel rates across our hotels globally, this role has excellent employee benefits making the role attractive to high performers and any applicant who like to associate her/himself with one of the most luxurious brands in the hospitality industry. This includes…
- Competitive salary + excellent service charge
- 28 holidays inclusive of Bank Holidays
- Extra holiday for significant Birthdays (21.30.40. etc.)
- Life insurance
- Next pension
- Jumeirah perks website access – discount
- F&B and Spa treatment discount
- Lieu day if you work on Bank Holidays
- Dry cleaning of uniform or Business attire
- Meals on duty
- Employee assistance programs
- Wellness benefits – Chiropodist, Flu jabs, and more!
- Taxi service after hours
- Social events & recognitions programs
- Ongoing training & development
- Weeding/Baby gift
- Cycle scheme
- Internal transfer scheme
- Eye test and discount for VDU users
- Dental cash back plan
- External transfer scheme