Ornamental Gardener - Bruton, Somerset
26,000- 28,000 per annum plus fantastic benefits
40 hours per week over 5 days, with rotational weekends
A driving license is required for this role
Working in our main ornamental gardens in our visitor attraction and hotel, you will use your formal training and wide botanical knowledge to aid the team in ensuring our gardens are maintained to the highest of standards, whilst engaging with our members on a daily basis.
Our Ornamental Gardeners assist with the implementation of new planning and landscaping schemes, pest/disease control, support the wider estate and actively engage our members through programmes, events, talks and workshops on the Estate.
To thrive in this role we ask for:
- 2-4 years experience in a similar role
- Formal relevant education is preferable
- Great organisation and time management skills
- Great communication skills
- An eye for detail
- Basic understanding of care and operation of garden machinery and tools
What we can offer
- A positive workplace environment with opportunities to develop both personally and professionally.
- Stay in shape with our complimentary use of our gym and wellbeing classes
- Look after your wellbeing with complimentary access to our Spa and swimming pools and our exclusive benefit of 50% of Spa Treatments.
- Enjoy shopping in both our shops on estate and online with 30% discount for all our colleagues and free delivery for any online purchases.
- Discover exclusive perks with our Discounted hotel stays for staff, accompanied by a fantastic 30% discount at our restaurants.
- The opportunity to ensure your views are heard and shape the future of the business via our Employee Engine Room.
- Complimentary garden membership for the Newt and our partner gardens including the Eden Project, Kew Gardens and The Lost Gardens of Heligan
- Complimentary meal whilst on shift, created using fresh produce from our estate by our dedicated staff food chefs
- We value your hard work and recognise your achievements through our colleague recognition programme "Newt Awards" with the opportunity to achieve a variety of amazing rewards including a complimentary Hotel Stay.
- Support from our Employee Assistance Programme for both yourself and your family
- A team that knows how to have fun with regular team engagement activities including monthly Gather and Grow Motivational Speakers and our regular fun squad events, which include activities such as Go-Karting and Wine Tasting, to name but a few.
- Up to 30 days annual leave each year for our full-time team
Where you'll be working - Our Garden Team
The Gardens Team (Gardens, Edibles, Nursery & Woodlands) are dedicated to understanding, developing, curating, protecting, and managing The Newts living collection of plants, in an environment where visitors are encouraged to experience and learn about plants, garden history, habitats and to enjoy the gardens. The team run several events and workshops for our visitors over the year which include the popular daily garden tours
Who are we? - The Newt in Somerset
Nestled within an expanse of rolling fields and steeped in ancient history, our luxury country estate stands as a haven of refined elegance, inviting guests to explore acres of captivating gardens, meandering pathways, and enriching exhibitions - accessible 364 days a year for our members. Our hotel extends a warm welcome, offering a home-away-from-home experience where impeccable service flourishes in an ambiance of unassuming sophistication. Beyond the estate, the Newt's essence remains tangible, with our Ecommerce teams delivering our finest products to homes, while media and membership endeavours keep them informed of our latest developments. Behind the scenes, a tapestry of talented teams - from Housekeeping to HR, Finance to Farming - collaborates harmoniously, crafting an unforgettable journey of growth, development, and innovation, where every contribution creates unparalleled experiences.