Market Gardener - Galhampton, Yeovil
25,000 per annum 40 hours per week over 5 days
We're looking for talented folk to join our Market Gardening team, growing delicious crops for our customers and guests across the Estate and online.
Reporting to the Market Garden Supervisor, you will be joining our Estate's productive growing team on our 12 acres (within our wider estates) growing a wide range of crops, in addition to our Controlled Environment Agriculture (CEA) spaces. We are looking to help our team grow, both in terms of the crops and in terms of developing the individual team members and their skills and toolset required to excel in our fields of production.
The team work closely alongside our hotel and Garden Caf chefs to supply fresh seasonal produce to all the food outlets on the Estate as well as the Farm Shop and our Ecommerce business, focusing on high quality as well as the interesting, unusual, or locally relevant.
Although not certified, we in the Market Garden, do abide by the principles of Organic Agriculture.
What we can offer
- A positive workplace environment with opportunities to develop both personally and professionally.
- Stay in shape with our complimentary use of our gym and wellbeing classes
- Look after your wellbeing with complimentary access to our Spa and swimming pools and our exclusive benefit of 50% of Spa Treatments.
- Enjoy shopping in both our shops on estate and online with 30% discount for all our colleagues and free delivery for any online purchases.
- Discover exclusive perks with our Discounted hotel stays for staff, accompanied by a fantastic 30% discount at our restaurants.
- The opportunity to ensure your views are heard and shape the future of the business via our Employee Engine Room.
- Complimentary garden membership for the Newt and our partner gardens including the Eden Project, Kew Gardens and The Lost Gardens of Heligan
- Complimentary meal whilst on shift, created using fresh produce from our estate by our dedicated staff food chefs
- We value your hard work and recognise your achievements through our colleague recognition programme "Newt Awards" with the opportunity to achieve a variety of amazing rewards including a complimentary Hotel Stay.
- Support from our Employee Assistance Programme for both yourself and your family
- A team that knows how to have fun with regular team engagement activities including monthly Gather and Grow Motivational Speakers and our regular fun squad events, which include activities such as Go-Karting and Wine Tasting, to name but a few.
- Up to 30 days annual leave each year for our full-time team
Skills and Experience
We ask that you will have 2 or more years or relevant experience, as in hands in the soil, and also be a solid team member. Familiarity with the chef perspective on quality of produce and other skills associated with the flavour and aesthetics of stunning fruits, vegetables and flowers are also desirable traits for this position.
- 2 or more years relevant experience in a hands on role, growing fresh produce.
- Proven team working attitude.
- Broad-ranging horticultural/agricultural experience.
- A thorough, precise, and well organised individual.
- The candidate will be a hands-on, hard-working, energetic person.
- Strong communication skills.
- An excellent understanding of vegetable production and it's seasonality.
- A can-do, will-do attitude where you're willing to be flexible to get the job done.
- Full and clean UK driving license.
Who are we? - The Newt in Somerset
Nestled within an expanse of rolling fields and steeped in ancient history, our luxury country estate stands as a haven of refined elegance, inviting guests to explore acres of captivating gardens, meandering pathways, and enriching exhibitions - accessible 364 days a year for our members. Our hotel extends a warm welcome, offering a home-away-from-home experience where impeccable service flourishes in an ambiance of unassuming sophistication. Beyond the estate, the Newt's essence remains tangible, with our Ecommerce teams delivering our finest products to homes, while media and membership endeavours keep them informed of our latest developments. Behind the scenes, a tapestry of talented teams - from Housekeeping to HR, Finance to Farming - collaborates harmoniously, crafting an unforgettable journey of growth, development, and innovation, where every contribution creates unparalleled experiences.