General Manager - Thornbury Golf Centre - Bristol
Job Type: Full Time
RESPONSIBLE TO: Operations Director (Golf Division)
SUPPORT: Group Specialists
To safeguard and develop the long-term success of Thornbury Golf Centre for its family owners, the General Manager will display great integrity, judgement, focus and leadership skills to guide the business to deliver the highest levels of standards and service, maximising the diverse commercial opportunities presented in a mature golf market.
Primary accountability is for maintaining the balance between golf membership, visitor golf rounds and wedding and events to an optimum and sustainable level, whilst driving associated secondary spends from golfers and guests, particularly the casual food & beverage proposition. Secondary, is to grow levels of customer engagement and incomes from the driving range and guests accommodation by developing a high-quality proposition as a best-in-class destination.
MEASURMENT OF SUCCESS:
The General Manager will be measured against key criteria including:
- Levels of employee engagement – measured through demonstrable personalized development plans
- Levels of customer loyalty – measured by customer communications, NPS and social media reviews
- Levels of compliance – measured through audits
- Observations from the executive support team
- Financial management – measured through P&L accountability
- People Management – ensure all team members are performing to their optimum ability, recognising and rewarding high and exceptional performance and performance managing under or poor performers.
- Regular, relevant and timely communication across the teams to ensure full understanding and transparency of company objectives and performance.
- Take an active role in the recruitment and consistent induction of all staff members, taking overall responsibility for their welfare and their development.
- Ensure recruitment is completed ethically and legally. Job descriptions, expectations and goals are described at length. Comprehensive note taking at interview stage to reflect the candidate response. Compliance with Right to Live & Work laws and references sought and confirmed.
- Ensure direct reports receive a regular objective led 1:1 business review.
- Ensure direct reports receive performance support utilising the structure and process provided by the company.
- Ensure Heads of Department maintain an annual training plan for their department and direct reports.
- Ensure levels of compliance within the BGL Academy are above 95% at all times.
- Lead and manage a regular structured HoD meeting accompanied by SMART minutes.
- Conduct a twice yearly all-staff briefing and a minimum of 4 Staff Consultative Meetings.
- Develop a strong network of collaboration with fellow general managers.
- Maintain oversight of personnel records by employing a good housekeeping approach.
Members & Customers
- Maintain a high level of communication with the membership, MBWA, newsletters and personally taking charge of detracting feedback.
- Uphold the traditions of the club, maintaining the formality of working with Committee whilst adopting a progressive and modernising agenda in order the interests of the wider membership and the owner are preserved, i.e. discourage and prevent short-term minority interests.
- Maintain and develop relationships within the local community.
Sales & Marketing
- Conduct regular 1:1 objectives meetings with the sales manager.
- Maintain an active role with the Head of Sales and the marketing team in order S&M priorities are focused.
- Take responsibility for ensuring member and prospect data is managed accurately and ethically.
- Take an active role in managing Infusionsoft as a performance tool.
- Check accuracy and authorise all sales related commissions.
- Regularly review accuracy and content for the club web site and make recommendation for its improvement.
- Maintain a competitor market analysis (CMA) file detailing competitors shopped; annually shop in person and on a quarterly basis carry out a web / phone CMA.
- Deliver an annual renewal plan for membership renewals based around proactive retention.
- Ensure ESP records are maintained for exceptions, updating of leavers and accurate record keeping.
- Review Net Promoter Score comments on a daily basis contacting ‘detractors’ within a minimum of 48 hours taking appropriate action to resolve customer feedback.
- Take full responsibility for the consistent high level of presentation of the golf course in line with recognised group procedures, which requires a course walk with the course manager monthly.
- Inspect the greenkeeping shed on a regular basis checking training records are maintained for team members and that company assets are being maintained and secured to the highest of standards.
- Maintain and update the risk assessment register on an annual basis.
- Achieve, display and maintain 5 stars for Scores on the Doors.
- Hold a personal licence and act as the DPS combined with a current full Disclosure and valid drivers’ licence.
- Conduct a weekly inspection of the clubhouse with the contract cleaner.
- Maintain a maintenance register and oversee the compliance PPM completed by Bellrock.
- Personally vet subcontractors ensuring an acceptable level of public liability and registered certification is in place.
- Write and maintain the management rota for the club that clearly defines at any one point in time who is responsible for the property and the welfare of the staff
- Follow company procedures that will deliver statutory fire, hygiene, health & safety standards in relation to training and procedural implementation.
- Achieve no less than the minimum pass scores across the range of internal audits.
- Take full responsibility for the strategic positioning and development of the business. This should include quarterly competitive marketing analysis culminating in the General Manager being able to clearly define business plans and priorities to the Operations Director.
- Take full responsibility for the preparation and implementation of business plans, financial budgets, marketing plans and capital expenditure schedules that will grow and sustain the operating profit of the business.
- Take responsibility for all income and expenditure and demonstrate a sound understanding at all times of the financial detail of the business, culminating in a comprehensive monthly business report to be circulated to the Operations Director and Chief Executive.
- Implement and oversee financial controls with the business administrator.
- Take personal responsibility for ensuring monthly accruals are processed accurately and in the correct month.
- Play an integral part in month end procedures which includes stock taking of food, liquor and retail.
- Maintain an accurate 3 month rolling forecast for the business, including submission on weekly forecast to Operations Director.
- Adhere and monitor compliance of purchasing policies and procedures.
- Ensure BGL agreed procedures and policies are adhered to.
- Overachieve the annual agreed operating profit budget.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Experience as a General Manager is essential with a proven track record of successfully managing site operations and people management.
- Proven track record in a commercial hospitality environment where success was measured through operational standards, customer satisfaction and sustained growth in profitability.
- Experience in managing a large team with different departments.
- Golf experience is desirable.
- A sports and club membership understanding will be beneficial.
- Ideally educated to degree level or equivalent.
ROLE SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS
- Comfortable standing and presenting to an audience, displays charismatic qualities that clearly identify them as a leader of people
- Inquisitive and focused
- Capable and able to complete research and write structured reports
- Demonstrable background in results driven leisure / hospitality environment
- Displays a keen interest in sport, ideally able to play and enjoy the great game of golf
- The successful candidate will be articulate with words and numbers
- Must willingly want to work one day of every weekend
- Up to 20% Bonus dependant on performance
- 10% ER and 5% EE pension scheme
- Private Healthcare
- Meals on duty provided
- Support with your health and wellbeing through our Employee Assistance Programme.
- Personal development opportunities with access to our Learning Management System and content library.
What you can expect from us:
Use of facilities
Free Golf, mini golf and use of the driving range at any of our clubs.
Guest Rate available for family to use the golf course and driving range if accompanied by staff member.
Free room-hire at any of our sites when purchasing food and beverages from the site.
Staff discount on retail purchases in any of our Golf Retail Shops: Trade price + 10% + VAT.
The Perks – access to a savings portal for travel, fashion, entertainment, insurance, technology, food & drink
Food and Drink
Complimentary meal on shifts of more than 6 hours.
Tea, coffee and squash on duty.
30% discount on food and beverages at any of our sites for you and up to 10 guests if you are present.
Enhanced Maternity Benefit after 2 years’ service.
Enhanced Paternity Pay.
Ride to Work Scheme.
Dental scheme available at a beneficial rate with a choice of cover.
Contribution toward eye test and new glasses every 2 years.
Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) to support your wellbeing.
Training and Development
Personal Development Plan and support.
The BGL Academy with hundreds of courses and videos that you can access for your professional and personal development.
Recognition and Reward
Employee of the quarter prize.
Employee of the year prize.
Long service awards.
Extended holiday entitlement for long service.
All of this at a beautiful work location with free car parking
(Please Note: conditions may apply to above)
We expect all our staff to strive to:
We strive to maintain open and honest communication with our people, customers and business partners at all times.
We support our local communities and strive to create a positive impact by providing accessible and enjoyable leisure facilities. We are committed to the development of golf and general wellbeing and supporting our local communities by our fundraising activities.
Our policies and practices for managing our business highlight our commitment to protect and nurture our natural environment.
People are our lifeblood. We want them to develop to their full potential. We highly value the people who work for us and the customers we are here to serve.
We take great pride and ownership in everything we do. We strive to be the best we can and to be the leaders in our marketplace.
We are committed to offering our customers the highest quality products and services. We continually evaluate our performance and endeavour to be the best.
We look beyond what awaits us around the corner, working to achieve longer term goals to create a sustainable business.