General Manager - Essex
1Life is a forward thinking lifestyle and management solutions company that engages with people in local communities to enhance lives through health and wellbeing, physical activity, learning and the arts.
This is an ideal role for an individual who is motivated by running their own facility. Whether for the development of your career or the belief in a worthwhile role, the satisfaction, pride and personal responsibility you gain from such a key role will be important to you. A key role, a key challenge, a personal experience!
Primary objectives for the General Manager will be:
- To input into and implement the strategy for the business of 1Life.
- To consistently enhance both the financial performance and usage of the Contract.
- To ensure the effective running of the Great Dunmow Leisure Centre for the community.
- To manage, develop and co-ordinate staff resources effectively to meet the operational requirements of the Contract and to create a dynamic, innovative and responsive staff team through open communication and leadership.
- Develop, maintain and evolve good relations with existing clients.
- Monitor the performance of the operation through the proper Company accounting and reporting procedures.
- Increase the company's image and credibility.
- Take responsibility for health and safety and actively participate in the maintenance and improvement of the overall Company Health and Safety culture.
- Be technically able and play a proactive role in securing new business for 1Life.
The General Manager will focus day to day on the following tasks:
- Oversee the smooth running of the facilities
- Ensure that the buildings are presented at the highest levels of cleanliness to the people that use the facilities
- To ensure that the systems provide information to the Client as required
- To develop a programme that will attract increased usage from the local community
- To consistently develop and improve operational procedures
- To develop and maintain quality assured procedures for all aspects of the facilities operations inline with QUEST
- Build and maintain a sound organisational structure, recruiting, training and motivating staff within the Contract
- Effectively implement and monitor the company's Health and Safety policy and associated procedures
- To implement Parkwood Holding's Environmental Management Policy
- Carry out all financial accounting requirements
- Maintain a good motivational culture
- Ensure that the buildings are maintained according to the requirements of the centre
- To undertake any other duties as reasonably required by the General Manager and other Senior Management.
The post holder will have a recognised qualification in Leisure Management, Sports Development or a related subject preferably to degree level or NVQ 3. An additional business qualification would be advantageous.
With a proven track record in managing and developing sports and leisure facilities the post holder will ideally have achieved a presence within the industry that ensures personal credibility.
Among the personal characteristics sought the postholder:
- Will be able to gain acceptance and respect from clients and the teams involved
- Have a clear identification with the requirements of all customers
- Will be able to communicate at different levels of the organisation and portray strong listening skills
- Innovative particularly in their approach to the design and delivery of programmes and services
- Will be able to demonstrate financial awareness, medium term business planning as well as clear-sighted operational management ability
- Will be reliable and confident in making key decisions within the contract
- Will be able to demonstrate excellent planning and time management ability
- Will be able to proactively resolve day-to-day operational issues
- Will be able to adapt the management style and thinking process to the needs of the business
- Will be able to build strong relationships with customers, clients and employees
- Will be able to maintain and be committed to good employee culture and deliver quality training
- Will be able to demonstrate the ability to manage complex, diverse operations to a high professional standard
- Will be able to meet the demands of the role
- Ensure the effective delivery of local and Company marketing initiatives
- Will be able to assist in the effective marketing of the Company and location for business development purposes
- Will be able to proactively demonstrate commitment to a health and safety culture
We are proud to be Equal Opportunity Employers that are committed to inclusion and diversity.
If you are interested in applying for this role, we suggest that you do so at the earliest opportunity to avoid disappointment as interviews will be held throughout the process. Please note that if you have not received correspondence within 21 days then please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.