Deputy Manager (Nights) - YHA Manchester
Please Note: This role is only open to current employees of YHA England and Wales at this time.
YHA Manchester are looking to recruit a Deputy Manager for 42.5 hours per week who will be responsible for managing the hostel's night operations.
YHA Manchester is a busy city hostel accommodating a good mix of groups, families and solo travelers throughout the year. We are currently undergoing works to add a further 17 rooms bringing our occupancy up to 212. We'll also be redeveloping our bar and creating 2 ground floor meeting rooms. We are located in the historic Castlefield area of Manchester, next to the canal.
What can YHA offer you?
YHA Manchester is somewhere a little different, certainly not your average office. YHA offers a fantastic benefits package including:
- We pay £26,675 per annum (this role is fixed, 42.5 hours per week, permanent contract)
- You will get access to YHA’s staff discount and cash back portal
- Free YHA Membership each year
- 10 nights free hostel stays per year for you and up to 3 friends or family
There’s lots more benefits to working for YHA so please visit our YHA Jobs website to find out more.
What will you be doing as Deputy Manager (Night)?
Our deputy managers support the hostel manager with the day-to-day operational management of the hostel and in delivering an excellent customer experience. This role will specifically be responsible for ensuring the quality of service is maintained throughout the night.
You will contribute towards the achievement of targets across all aspects of the hostel operation including food and beverage, and will be responsible for maximising revenue whilst controlling expenditure. A key part of this role will be to maximise on all sales opportunities during the night, trying new ideas and expanding on existing initiatives.
You will regularly produce sales reports, have regular meetings with the Hostel Manager and help manage a team of employees and occasional volunteers.
You’ll also contribute to the team effort in the day-to-day operation of the hostel, undertaking housekeeping, reception, and food and beverage tasks on a daily basis.
Your day-to-day duties may include:
- Directing and supporting team members working on reception
- Resolving difficult situations and emergencies in a professional and efficient manner
- Liaising with guests and residents in the hostel, dealing with any problems and resolving complaints in a courteous and professional manner
- Ensuring the security of the hostel by carrying out checks at regular intervals with emphasis on security, and fire safety
- Responsible service of alcohol
- Ensuring regular hostel inspections
- Carry out reception duties as necessary such as late check-ins, early check-outs, extending stays etc.
- Carrying out cleaning duties and ensuring all tasks are completed to standard.
- Preparing for breakfast service
- Responsible for the Night Audits and closing the day's business
- Carry out a comprehensive hand over to early Duty Manager before end of shift
- Sales reporting to relevant managers.
What Skills and Experience do you need to be a Deputy Manager?
Our Deputy manager (Night) role requires flexibility to cover different shifts and tasks. It’s an advantage but not essential that our team members have worked in a face-to-face role with customers previously. Experience in hospitality or customer service is desirable, including the management and delivery of a quality service. A strong desire to work at nights is also key.
Our Deputy Managers are responsible for supporting the management of an operational budget and delivery of KPI’s, therefore, previous leadership experience and experience managing budgets is desired.
Food safety level 2 and APLH level 2 qualifications would be desirable but not essential.Experience / working knowledge of managing varying pressures, including significant peaks in workload demands and experience of managing a team is essential.
Duties vary so good communication* skills, excellent timekeeping and basic IT skills are advantages.
Knowledge and understanding of YHA’s core purpose and experience of working in a team are beneficial.
How do you apply?
Submit your CV and complete the application form (it’s a short one, we promise!). If you need any assistance, please visit the contact page on the YHA Jobs website and someone from the team will help you.
Who are YHA?
If you would like to find out more about YHA the charity, the culture, the heritage and so much more please visit our jobs website.
YHA’s core strategic priority is access for all. It is a fundamental part of our charitable objects and the foundation upon which our 90-year history is built. We’re actively building diverse teams and we welcome applications from everyone.
You can find out more about us by visiting the ‘Working for YHA’ pages of the YHA Jobs website.
PLEASE NOTE All relevant checks are in place to ensure safeguarding and legal requirements of safer recruitment are adhered to.
We do reserve the right to close this advertisement early if we receive a high volume of suitable applications.
Keywords: Night Manager, Night Team Leader, Night Supervisor, Security, Night Receptionist