Gardener - Wilmslow, Cheshire
We have a new Gardener opportunity to join us for the next chapter of the Quarry Bank story. If you have horticulture experience and a love of productive and ornamental growing we would love to hear from you.
You'll carry out physically demanding work daily on a site with steep hills, be competent in machinery such as mowers, strimmers and hedgecutters.
One of Britain's greatest industrial heritage sites, set in picturesque gardens and countryside.
The wider agricultural landscape, which incorporates village and Apprentice House, provides the essential rural setting to this unusual and rare and “perfect survivor of the industrial picturesque”.
Our main focus is telling the story of the first 50 years of Quarry Bank and the people who lived and worked here.
Hours: 22.5 hours per week, ideally Monday to Wednesdays but we can be flexible
Salary: FTE £22,500pa Actual £13,500pa
Contract: Fixed term contract until May 2026
Interviews: 13th of December, we encourage you to apply as soon as you can
What it's like to work here
The gardens themselves contain 18th century picturesque elements, plus a Victorian parterre and rock gardens, restored walled garden and vinery, orchards, productive horticulture, wildflower meadows, stunning ornamental borders and striking geology. All with a river running through it!
We entice over 250,000 visitors a year who come and enjoy all we have to offer.
The friendly and committed team at Quarry Bank will provide you with a welcoming and supportive work environment. The work here is endlessly fulfilling, and with so much seasonal change there will always be something new to discover.
There’s plenty of scope for further training, in house and external, to continue to build relevant practical and people skills.
You'll join our incredibly friendly team, everyone is welcoming and passionate about our gardens which is currently made up of:
- Head Gardener
- Senior Gardener
- 2 x Gardeners
- 1 x sponsored Gardener
- Dedicated team of 60 volunteers.
We have some exciting new projects over the next few years to take the garden to the next level so it is a great time to join the team!
Click here for more information about this location
What you'll be doing
There’s a huge variety of tasks in the extensive gardens which means you’ll be doing something different almost every day.
We’ll support you with the machinery and horticultural training you require or wish to pursue.
You’ll also take responsibility for certain agreed garden areas, maintaining and developing your area, an excellent opportunity to leave your mark in a very special place.
Please also read the full role profile attached to this advert
Who we're looking for
To be successful in this role you should be able to demonstrate the below:
- RHS level 2 in horticulture or equivalent vocational experience.
- Excellent knowledge of plants
- Proficient with the use and maintenance of garden machinery including hedge trimmers, pedestrian mowers, strimmers & blowers
- Awareness of relevant health and safety legislation and practice
- A Driving licence is preferred
The National Trust has the motto ‘For everyone, for ever’ at its heart. We’re working hard to create an inclusive culture, where everyone feels they belong. It’s important that our people reflect and represent the diversity of the communities and audiences we serve. We welcome and value difference, so when we say we’re for everyone, we want everyone to be welcome in our teams too.
- Substantial pension scheme of up to 10% basic salary
- Free entry to National Trust places for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- Tax free childcare scheme
- Rental deposit loan scheme
- Perks at work discounts i.e. gym memberships, shopping discount codes, cinema discounts
- Holiday allowance up to 32 days relating to length of service, plus holiday purchase scheme, subject to meeting minimum criteria.
- Flexible working whenever possible
- Employee assistance programme
- Free parking at most locations
- Independent financial advice
Click here to find out more about the benefits we offer to support you.