Ranger - DunstableSummary
The voice of our landscapes, conservation champions and lovers of all things outdoors, you’ll help to keep the British countryside and coast wonderful. Working in some of the nation’s most stunning places and spaces, come rain or shine, your love of the outdoors will inspire others as you strive to ensure that landscapes are beautifully presented and continue to take our visitors’ breath away.
You'll be expected to work regular weekends and bank holidays, as required.What it's like to work hereThis vacancy is included in a trial of the ‘Disability Confident’ scheme (level 1).
If you have a disability, and your qualities, skills and experience are a good fit with the 'Who we're looking for' section below, we will guarantee you either a telephone or face to face interview. Please contact us at email@example.com, when you apply, to let us know, quoting the reference number for this vacancy.
You'll be based at Dunstable and Whipsnade Downs, and you'll also care for our properties at Totternhoe Knolls, Sharpenhoe Clappers, Sundon Hills, Whipsnade Tree Cathedral and Morven Park.
The Bedfordshire Countryside properties are comprised of chalk grassland SSSIs perched on prominent hilltops along the chalk ridges of the Chiltern Hills. Other habitats include commons, woodland and parkland. With a variety of scheduled monuments and the grade II garden at Whipsnade Tree Cathedral, no two days are the same.
Whipsnade Downs holds a thriving population of Duke of Burgundy butterfly and across the county our sites are home to over 30 species of butterfly and 12 species of orchid including fly and frog orchid. You will also have the opportunity to share your passion for our conservation work with our many visitors.
It is an exciting time to be joining the Ranger team, with projects planned and underway managing our chalk grassland habitat to improve biodiversity and provide access for the many user groups to the countryside. There are also a range of training opportunities available.What you'll be doing
In this role you’ll perform a variety of practical countryside management tasks to maintain and improve the conservation status of the sites, whilst maintaining excellent standards of presentation and property maintenance. This could include scrub clearance, tree felling, mowing, tractor driving, path works or species monitoring, to name just a few. We have an incredible team of volunteers who support our day-to-day conservation work, as well as helping with specific projects, and you will work with them to complete tasks.
As well as following a flexible work programme that delivers our conservation work and contributes towards HLS (Higher Level Stewardship) targets, you’ll also take responsibility for individual projects.
Please also read the full role profile, attached to this advert.Who we're looking for
To deliver this role successfully, you'll need:
- To have experience working in a similar outdoor setting, delivering practical conservation work to protect and enhance the conservation status of the property
- To be competent with machinery and equipment, including brushcutter, pesticide, chainsaw and tractors, as well as having the relevant certificates required
- To be Able to engage with visitors to ensure they understand the value of your work
- Experience working alongside volunteers and an ability to support them to perform at their best
- Good wildlife identification skills
- Experience in land, access and conservation management
- A full UK driving licence
The National Trust has the motto ‘For everyone, for ever’ at its heart. We’re working hard to create an inclusive culture, where everyone feels they belong. It’s important that our people reflect and represent the diversity of the communities and audiences we serve. We welcome and value difference, so when we say we’re for everyone, we want everyone to be welcome in our teams too.
- Substantial pension scheme of up to 10% basic salary
- Free entry to National Trust places for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- Tax free childcare scheme
- Rental deposit loan scheme
- Perks at work discounts i.e. gym memberships, shopping discount codes, cinema discounts
- Holiday allowance up to 32 days relating to length of service, plus holiday purchase scheme, subject to meeting minimum criteria.
- Flexible working whenever possible
- Employee assistance programme
- Free parking at most locations
- Independent financial advice
Click here to find out more about the benefits we offer to support you.