Lifeguard - Summer Holidays - Godstowe Prep School, High Wycombe
Reporting to: Camp Manager
Contract: 17th July – 25th August 2023 (30 days)
Hours: 8.30am – 5.30pm weekdays. Full time or part time roles available and additional hours available for staff that hold a paediatric first aid qualification.
Pay: £9.41 - £11.79 hourly rate (Inclusive of Holiday Pay) Pay is calculated on age, experience and qualifications.
Summary of Position:
The role of the Specialist Instructor (Lifeguard) is to ensure the welfare and safety of the children on camp is always maintained, and to act as a lifeguard during our swimming sessions on camp.
During swimming sessions, you will be lifeguarding poolside whilst our Instructors lead a swimming activity for children aged 4 – 14 years. Between lifeguarding duties, you will be part of our Instructor team delivering outstanding sports sessions, arts and crafts activities and games to groups of children, with an emphasis being on participation, care and development.
As well as leading sessions, staff contribute to the high standard of physical, emotional and social care offered by Ultimate Activity Camps. Our Activity Instructors have a pastoral role as the leader of a group of children on camp, with the focus being on maintaining welfare and providing high quality care.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lifeguard for all age groups of children on our camps during timetabled swimming sessions.
- Prepare and deliver activities for children aged 4-14, focusing on participation, development and enjoyment, working both alone and alongside other staff.
- Take a pastoral role as a group leader, welcoming new children into your group and liaising with the Camp Manager and/or parents as necessary.
- Supervise and engage with the children outside of activity times.
- Continuously promote the welfare of the children in your care.
- Show high levels of energy, enthusiasm and professionalism, acting as a suitable role model for the children.
- Ensure all policies and procedures on camp are adhered to by yourself and the children in your care, including all health and safety, and safeguarding procedures.
- Live up to the Ultimate Activity Camp promise of ‘Inspiring Children Every Day’ and behave in a manner that reflects the expectations of the company throughout your employment.
Other ad-hoc duties (e.g., cleaning, equipment maintenance etc).
- Qualified lifeguard (NaRS, NPLQ), with experience working with children.
- Be enthusiastic, energetic and passionate about working developing children through play and activity.
- Good organisation and communication skills. Candidates must be confident in their ability to lead a group of children and not shy away from responsibility.
- A flexible, team player, able to adapt to dynamic situations and challenges on camp.
- Someone looking for a sometimes challenging but hugely rewarding and fun job in the holidays, looking to further their career in the childcare and coaching industry.
- Ideally qualified in or working towards relevant qualification (e.g., childcare, education, sports or art), with experience of working with children and delivering activities.
- Experienced in coaching or teaching, able to tailor delivery and structure according to age and ability.
- Have a full, clean driving licence as you may be asked to work across more than one camp in your local area.