Group Procurement Manager - The Club Company - Knowl Hill, Reading
Job Type: Full Time
Reports to: Group Financial Controller
Reporting Line: Finance
The Club Company’s mission is to be unquestionably the UK’s premier collection of country clubs and we understand that the bedrock of any successful business is its people, how they treat each other, their customers and how they live and breathe our values day in, day out.
With a warm and welcoming atmosphere, our clubs are set in beautiful locations with an inspiring mix of sporting, leisure and wellbeing facilities offering a feel-good experience to members and guests. Our clubs are an exceptional venue to work and enjoy.
Our CARE values - Caring, Ambitious, Respectful and Energised - are designed to guide and inspire our team every day. Our team members ensure that our clubs are places that people love to visit. Because our customers are a huge part of what makes our clubs so special, we place them at the heart of everything we do.
Purpose of the Role
The primary purpose of this role is to lead the Group’s procurement strategy, collaborating with the operating team to negotiate with and manage key supplier relationships, ensure compliance to Group purchasing guidelines via Group oversight of the ProcureWizard (PW) procurement system, and act as the key support to the F&B team in terms of PW master data accuracy. The role will have oversight of the Group’s entire supply chain, but with a leaning towards Food and Beverage.
The role should have oversight of the full Group’s supplier database and, alongside the relevant operational head, proactively manage the renegotiation of key suppliers’ terms in line with a created key supplier contract timetable. This would be performed on a category by category basis.
Secondly a key aspect of the role is to ensure compliance to buying procedures across the Group. Having recently implemented PW, the role will be key to ensure our clubs order from the right suppliers and use the system to generate cost efficiency, by maintaining strategic oversight of suppliers within the database and driving best practice across the Group.
Finally, a key role is to support the Food & Beverage team in terms of master data oversight (products, pricing, menus), cost control, spend analytics and process / policy governance.
Overview of Job Responsibilities/Duties
1.) Supplier relationship leadership
- Support Procurement and Operational needs with continual market review and analysis to help identify potential new vendors and / or solutions to drive cost savings and / or service or quality improvement. In doing so, ensure the appropriate level of local versus Group suppliers are being used (validating this with the Operational Regional Directors).
- Establish a calendar of key supplier terms and alongside the relevant operational lead, for each key supplier, proactively lead category tendering, supplier selection, due diligence, contracting, onboarding and TCC estate buying guidelines.
- Champion the new supplier process. Monitor new supplier setup and contract compliance to ensure supply base control (e.g., ensure that preferred suppliers are being used and new suppliers are not regularly being added un-necessarily).
- Build, maintain and manage supplier relationships and act as the strategic first point of contact operational contact to remain with relevant operation lead). Work closely with club senior management, and particularly the F&B and kitchen teams, to optimise supplier performance management.
- Ensure all suppliers meet legal, ethical and contractual terms, particularly referencing food hygiene standards and the Group’s supplier charter. Challenge suppliers where this is failing, escalating to the Exec if material breaches occur.
- Carry out trend analysis on key metrics such as costs, volumes, consumption etc. to identify patterns and/or highlight anomalies or potential issues.
- Manage supplier performance data for monthly, quarterly and annual supplier reviews, and share resolutions for recurring issues.
2.) Internal buying compliance
- Influence and challenge internal customers on procedural issues and ensure contracted supplier use, across all key categories.
- Establish buying compliance KPIs and deliver to club senior management, F&B and kitchen teams. Alongside finance, create periodic reporting against these KPIs. Support clubs to improve compliance where below the required standard.
- Escalate to Executive Team details of individuals/departments who repeatedly do not meet compliance responsibilities.
- Ensure that relevant and key processes are well documented.
3.) Food and beverage support
- Act as the Group champion for PW, facilitating ongoing training (minimum quarterly) and ensuring that F&B benefit is realised from the system by buying from correct suppliers, ensuring clubs challenge incorrect deliveries / invoices and use analytical data from the system to maximise performance.
- Be responsible, alongside the F&B Experience manager, for the F&B the accuracy and completeness of PW master data including menus, recipes, prices (actively managing supplier price change requests) and products.
- Provide reporting to Exec and GM level on F&B performance from the PW system to assist their learning and help drive commercial performance in terms of bought margin and various types of wastage.
- Regular review/removal of F&B products database in Procure Wizard.
- Support the transformation of the function, by playing an active role in change management and deployment of governance frameworks.
- To always promote The Club Company’s reputation for exceptional standards of customer care and service by bringing our CARE values to life.
- To undertake any additional tasks as reasonably requested by your line manager.
- To comply with the provisions of the Company’s Health & Safety and Fire Policy & Procedures.
Education and/or Experience
- At least 3 years progressive procurement experience. Experience within a F&B environment would be a particular advantage.
- Experience in cost control an advantage.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office applications specifically Excel/Spreadsheets
- Experience of Procure Wizard would be helpful.
- This role will be quite operational. The candidate should be comfortable with supporting and training users of procurement systems and be willing to travel to the clubs based predominantly around the south of England, extending northwards to Cheshire.
Licenses and Special Requirements
This job description has been prepared as a working document to identify the main areas of responsibility. It is not a definitive statement of duties nor excludes any tasks which may be considered reasonable.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer an excellent range of staff benefits, including
- Fun and professional work environment
- Complimentary use of health club, group exercise classes and golf facilities
- Competition play for team members with a golf handicap
- Bonus holiday days
- 50% off when you stay at our hotels
- 50% off meals on duty
- 25% off food, drink, retail and spa treatments at other times
- Discounted membership for a friend or your family membership
- Free Parking
- Uniform provided
- Learning and Development programs
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Opportunities to grow and develop within the group
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Digital Reward and Recognition Scheme
- Wagestream - a money management app that gives you access to a percentage of your pay as you earn it