Yacht Engineer/Mechanic - Greece
Salary: Up to £1,460 PCM (Gross) + Accommodation, Flights & Great Overall Package
Dates: April - November
Department: Yacht Team
Reports To: Flotilla Skipper/Maintenance Manager
Job Role Summary:
Working for Neilson Active holidays is more than a job; it’s a lifestyle! It’s all about sharing your passion for the activities you love. You’ll be working hard, but the work is fun, and there’s always plenty of time to play!
Spend a summer in the Greek sunshine looking after our yacht fleet? With the back-up of our shore-based maintenance team, the Neilson Flotilla Engineers take ownership of the maintenance and upkeep of our yachts.
Not only will you be able to diagnose and repair a variety of breakdowns, but also interact well with guests, other team members and build rapport with ease.
You’ll need to be motivated by a challenge and ready to deal with any problems, albeit at sea, back at base or in a beautiful remote location.
If you’re an experienced flotilla engineer, that’s great! If you have mechanical know-how, but you’ve never worked on a yacht before, no problem!
You’ll need to be confident with diesel engines, 12-volt electrics and basic plumbing, and over the years, some of our best Neilson yacht engineers have come from an agricultural & car mechanic background.
You’ll be based in Greece where we have two sailing centres in Vounaki and Sivota. Both are equally stunning with a choice of yacht flotilla routes for all abilities and levels of experience.
We’ll cover your accommodation and bills in the package along with exciting opportunities to work with us all year round.
We are always looking for friendly, energetic and approachable individuals to join our fantastic team! People who can build rapport with ease and always give our guests confidence in the fact that every element of their holiday is being delivered by people that care.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
- As a Flotilla Engineer, you will be efficient at managing your time and your tools to get the job done correctly
- No problem is too big or too small – you will thrive in an environment that brings a sense of adventure and satisfaction from dealing with a variety of mechanical and electrical faults
- As a Flotilla Engineer, you will need to think outside the box and use your initiative with a positive, personable approach to ensure that our guests receive the highest level of service
- We would expect you to be flexible with your time and work the hours required to ensure that our yachts are fully functional whenever possible
- You will take personal responsibility for the maintenance, repair and security of Neilson yachts and equipment ensuring that we meet our brochure specifications and guest expectations
- You are happy working as part of a team pro-actively providing help to all guests using our yachts each day
- You will assist in providing a safe and enjoyable working environment and ensuring all health & safety regulations are adhered to, both for staff and guests
- You will be involved in organising and hosting social events on the flotilla, so you will need to be able to interact and build rapport with ease
- You may sometimes need to move between different resorts according to operational needs and requirements
- We would require that you are flexible in your job role and willing to assist in all other duties within reason as requested by your manager
These are the main accountabilities however these may vary according to your resort. Qualifications, Abilities and Experience required:
- Engineering experience – mechanical, electrical or both
- NVQ Level 3 motor vehicle or equivalent
- First Aid certificate that is valid for the duration of your contract – This should be a minimum 6-hour practical course providing a certificate that is valid in the workplace
- Educated to GCSE standard or equivalent
- Knowledge of 12V electric systems would be beneficial
- VHF license would be beneficial
- Experience of working as part of a small team
- Previous customer service experience
- The ability to confidently hold a conversation in English
- Approachable, welcoming, friendly, and enthusiastic
- Able to communicate well with guests and staff of all ages
- Clean and tidy appearance
*For clarity, staff accommodation is either included in the package or deducted as part of the salary. This arrangement is resort specific. No employee will incur any loss of earnings due to the fact that the wage for each role is balanced across the entire programme.