Bushcraft Course Leader - Kennington, Oxford
Contract: Seasonal work available during May Half Term and Summer school holidays.
Hours: 8am – 6pm weekdays. Full time or part time roles available.
Where bookings allow, an additional 3 hours may be required on Thursday nights during the season when children are invited to stay for evening activities. If this is required, you will be paid overtime.
Salary: £97.35 - £113.35 (Inclusive of Holiday Pay, based on an 8.5 hour day) Pay is calculated on age, experience and qualifications.
Reporting to: Ultimate Survival Programme Manager
Summary of Position
Ultimate Survival Leaders are responsible for the successful delivery of our Outdoor Education programme, Ultimate Survival. Delivering a variety of bushcraft and outdoor activities, they lead from the front, managing a team of Ultimate Survival Instructors, striving to both inspire, and support them through their roles.
Survival Leaders are responsible for overseeing the welfare and safety of the children on-site, ensuring the camps’ adherence to policies and procedures, and acting as a key contact for stakeholders including parents, school representatives and Head Office.
Ultimate Survival Camp Leaders are the face of our outdoor programme, and therefore they are expected to uphold and maintain the company values at all times and carry out their role with the utmost professionalism.
The position of the Ultimate Survival Camp Leader is a busy but hugely rewarding and varied role, where you will use your passion and experience for the outdoors to deliver an exception camp experience for the children in our care.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare and deliver activities for children aged 7-14, focusing on participation, skill development and enjoyment.
- Directly manage a team of staff selected for you to ensure they deliver both the quality of care and the standard of activities expected at Ultimate Activity Camps.
- Inspire your staff to deliver quality activities by leading by example with energy and enthusiasm.
- Ensure all policies and procedures on camp are adhered to by yourself, your staff and the children in your care, including all health and safety, and safeguarding procedures. This may include implementing new procedures to ensure camp runs smoothly and remains a safe environment for staff and children.
- Liaise with Head Office with updates, queries any issues that arise throughout the day.
- Act as the point of contact for parents on camp, in person and on the phone, including feeding back any issues that arise throughout the day.
- Act as the point of contact with the Host School, meeting with their representatives to ensure the smooth running of camp.
- Manage all administrative duties on camp, including sign-in and sign-out procedures, registration, staff rotas and changes to the timetable.
- As well as our Ultimate Survival programme, the Ultimate Activity Company encompasses several other multi-activity and specialist programmes. As a Survival Leader you must liaise with the staff teams of these other programmes to ensure the smooth running of the site.
- Manage any other challenges that come with running a dynamic outdoor holiday camp environment.
- Continuously promote the welfare of the children in your care and ensure the provision of childcare is always of a high quality to meet the needs of individual children from differing backgrounds and stages of development.
- Live up to the Ultimate promise of ‘Inspiring Children Every Day’ and behave in a manner that reflects the expectations of the company throughout your employment.
- Show high levels of energy, enthusiasm, and professionalism, acting as a suitable role model for the children and staff on camp.
Share your enthusiasm. Thrive off theirs.
- Previous experience within outdoor education, with a specific focus on bushcraft, and significant experience working with children in an outdoor setting.
- A natural leader with management experience, ideally within the outdoor education or holiday camp sectors.
- Excellent communicator, with strong face-to-face customer service skills. Candidates must be confident in their ability to talk to parents and host school staff.
- Good working knowledge of Ultimate Survival activities.
- Good decision maker, able to quickly assess and make informed judgements.
- Pro-active and conscientious, able to adapt to situations when required.
- Someone looking for a sometimes challenging but hugely rewarding and fun job in the holidays, looking to further their career in the childcare, teaching, or coaching industry.
- Hold a Paediatric First Aid (12 hour or 6 hour) or Outdoor First Aid (16 hour) qualification.
- Hold relevant NGBs or experience in all or some of the following: canoeing, archery, bushcraft, slacklining, or environmental studies.
- Paid pre-camp training programme to prepare you to be an Ultimate staff member.
- Subsidised First Aid qualifications and CPD opportunities.
- It’s not every day you get to have this much fun!
The Ultimate Activity Company is committed to safeguarding and ensuring the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment. All appointments are subject relevant check in line with Safer Recruitment guidelines, including, but not limited to, DBS Disclosure checks, identity checks, internet search, employment history and reference checks, and international criminal record checks where required.