Bushcraft Instructor - Brackley, Northamptonshire
Contract: Seasonal work available during May Half Term and Summer school holidays.
Hours: 8am – 6pm weekdays. Full time or part time roles available.
Where bookings allow, an additional 3 hours may be required on Thursday nights during the season when children are invited to stay for evening activities. If this is required, you will be paid overtime.
Salary: £79.98 - £102.25 (Inclusive of Holiday Pay, based on an 8.5 hour day) Pay is calculated on age, experience and qualifications
Reporting to: Ultimate Survival Camp Leader
Summary of Position
The role of an Ultimate Survival Instructor is to use supporting resources to deliver quality, structured outdoor activities and workshops to groups of children aged 7 to 14.
You will be expected to guide groups of children through week-long, timetabled courses with an emphasis on fun, excitement, teamwork, and skill development. You will have a pastoral role, being a group leader and ensuring their welfare.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare and deliver activities for children aged 7-14, focusing on participation, development, and enjoyment while working both alone and alongside other staff.
- Encourage participation through enthusiasm, passion and energy.
- Ensure all policies and procedures on Camp are adhered to by yourself and the children in your care, including all health and safety, and safeguarding procedures.
- Help to set up the Ultimate Survival Camp by attending a Camp Induction Day and pack down the site at the end of the season.
- Take a pastoral role as a group leader, supporting and caring for children throughout the week while continuously promoting their welfare and best interests.
- Supervise and engage with the children outside of activity times. (sign in/out times & during their lunch/snack breaks).
- Live up to the company’s promise of ‘Inspiring Children Every Day’ and behave in a manner that reflects the expectations of the company throughout your employment.
- Show the required energy, enthusiasm, and professionalism for the duration of the season, acting as an ambassador for Ultimate Survival Camps and behaving as a suitable role model for children.
- Other ad-hoc duties (cleaning, equipment maintenance/ordering etc).
Make their holidays. They’ll make yours.
- Enthusiastic, energetic individual, passionate about working with children and supporting their development through adventurous activities.
- Excellent organisational and leadership skills.
- Experience within outdoor education (bushcraft specific) and experience working with children.
- Excellent communication skills and verbal reasoning. Candidates must be confident in their ability to lead a group of children and not shy away from responsibility.
- Flexible, team player, able to adapt to dynamic situations and challenges.
- Someone looking for a challenging, but hugely rewarding, enjoyable job in the holidays, as well as the opportunity to further their career in the outdoor education, adventure, and/or childcare industries.
- Relevant degree or equivalent experience.
- Ideally qualified or studying towards NGB qualification in adventurous activities, such as archery, bushcraft and mountaineering.
- Ideally experienced in working in a similar camp setting, working with children aged between 7 and 14 years.
- Current outdoor or paediatric first aid qualification.
- Paid pre-camp training programme to prepare you to be an Ultimate staff member.
- Subsidised First Aid qualifications and CPD opportunities.
- Competitive pay with progression opportunities.
- Each day is filled with rewarding work in an enthusiastic environment.
The Ultimate Activity Company is committed to safeguarding and ensuring the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment. All appointments are subject relevant check in line with Safer Recruitment guidelines, including, but not limited to, DBS Disclosure checks, identity checks, internet search, employment history and reference checks, and international criminal record checks where required.