Area Ranger - ExeterSummary
From ancient trees to bees and butterflies, our places are full of life and we're working hard to safeguard nature for years to come. Reducing carbon emissions, planting trees and protecting wildlife habitats are just some of the things the National Trust are doing to protect nature and the climate. We aim to restore thousands of acres of priority habitats and plant over 20 million trees before 2030.
The voice of our landscapes, a conservation champion and lover of all things outdoors, as an Area Ranger you’ll help nature and people to thrive at Killerton. Working in one of the National Trust's most important estates, come rain or shine, your love of the outdoors will inspire others as you strive to ensure that the landscape is nature rich, beautifully presented and continues to take our visitors’ breath away.What it's like to work here
Fashion-famous and full of colour, at 6,400 acres, Killerton is one of the National Trust’s largest special places. Located close to the vibrant city of Exeter, its size and scale make it a truly wonderful place to work. The estate includes farms, river valleys, woodlands, meadows, orchards and extensive parkland, a place that is enjoyed by half a million people each year.
Killerton has a dedicated, and award winning, countryside team that delivers conservation and access work throughout the property, ensuring that nature is thriving and that our visitors have the very best outdoor experience.
For more information about our property please visit www.nationaltrust.org.uk/killertonWhat you'll be doing
As the Area Ranger you will manage a small team of Rangers: following the lead from the Property’s Business Plan you will build and manage an effective and flexible work programme. You will be part of our countryside leadership team working collaboratively to undertake engagement and conservation work, contributing towards our nature, carbon and people ambitions. You will lead on key nature restoration projects creating new spaces for nature across the estate.
You will play a key role in maintaining excellent standards of presentation and property maintenance, ensuring our visitors have the very best outdoor experience. You will build and maintain strong professional relationships with colleagues, contractors, tenants and neighbouring land managers.
You’ll also be responsible for helping with excellent communication of our conservation work to a wide and diverse range of audiences, both new and existing, through events, guided walks and engagement with local communities.
Please also read the full role profile attached to this advert.Who we're looking for
To be fantastic in this role, we’d love you to have the following skills and experience:
- Evidence of experience in land, access, and conservation management
- Experience of developing and delivering work programs to meet conservation and access outcomes
- Supporting your team in all aspects, with experience of leading and line-managing teams of staff and/or volunteers
- Practical skills applied across a broad range of habitats and estate management
- Able to work safely, leading on compliance including writing risk assessments as well as safety and environmental procedures
- Demonstrate a passion for nature and the outdoors - able to engage with visitors to help them understand the value of our work
- A full UK driving license is essential
The National Trust has the motto ‘For everyone, for ever’ at its heart. We’re working hard to create an inclusive culture, where everyone feels they belong. It’s important that our people reflect and represent the diversity of the communities and audiences we serve. We welcome and value difference, so when we say we’re for everyone, we want everyone to be welcome in our teams too.
- Substantial pension scheme of up to 10% basic salary
- Free entry to National Trust properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- Tax free childcare scheme
- Rental deposit loan scheme
- Perks at work discounts i.e. gym memberships, shopping discount codes, cinema discounts
- Holiday allowance up to 32 days relating to length of service, plus holiday purchase scheme, subject to meeting minimum criteria.
- Flexible working whenever possible
- Employee assistance programme
- Free parking at most locations
- Independent financial advice
Click here to find out more about the benefits we offer to support you.