Senior Recreation Assistant - London
- The American School in London
- £26,458 to £28,057 depending on experience
- Closing date
- 24 Apr 2023
- Sports jobs, Leisure Assistant, Recreation Assistant, Lifeguard
- Job Type
- Full Time
Senior Recreation Assistant - London
Salary - £26,458 to £28,057 depending on experience
Reports to: Operations Manager & Assistant Managers
Hours: full time, including evening and weekends
Contract: Permanent, 40 hours per week
Start Date: ASAP
The Senior Recreation Assistant is responsible for the preparation, cleaning and general safety of areas in the Aquatic & Fitness Center, including administering first aid. In ‘wet-side’ facilities, they will have a key responsibility for the safety of users in the swimming pool and its surrounding areas, while on a lifeguarding rota. In ‘dry side’ facilities, they will be responsible for advising visitors on safe use of exercise equipment and to recommend safe and effective personal and sport specific team programmes. They will be involved in setting up, taking down, and maintaining the equipment. The role holder will be engaged in motivating visitors to achieve their goals and to deliver truly excellent service, through writing bespoke programs and assisting the PE and Athletics departments in delivering their programs.
When undertaking a supervisory shift there is an expectation that the Senior Recreational Assistant will take full control of the shift and make decisions according to the operational needs in line with the Center’s policies and procedures.
There will be requirement to work outside normal weekday hours, including evenings, weekends and public holidays.
Summary of duties
- Ensuring safe and secure environment for employees, students and visitors
- Preparing activity areas to include the safe setting up/dismantling of equipment and ensuring that all equipment is stored safely and securely when not in use
- Routine maintenance and cleaning of gym and swimming pool equipment and changing rooms
- Ensuring the highest possible standards of hygiene and cleanliness are maintained by carrying out routine and other cleaning tasks when required
- Assisting visitors with enquiries in a friendly and effective manner, proactively developing and maintaining high standards of customer care
- Delivering a customer-focused service that is sensitive to social, cultural and emotional needs of all stakeholders
- Working on reception when required
- Working as part of a team to ensure the smooth operation of the facility
- Following Normal Operating Procedures and Emergency Action Plan
- Accurately filling in forms or reports relating to their normal duties
- Taking responsibility for the induction and development of new members of staff, students and visitors
- In a wet-side facility, supervising the safety of the swimming pool environment and working to prevent accidents and emergencies
- Taking responsibility for the opening and closing of the facilities
- To administer First Aid as required
- Take regular water tests
- Basic Plant room duties
- Attendance at regular pool training
- Carry out basic exercises classes on a regular basis within shift
- Allocating tasks to the recreation assistants and lifeguards
- To supervise the shift when there is no manager onsite
- To monitor the recreation assistants and lifeguards and report any concerns to the ASL AFC management team
- Any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by the Assistant Manager or Operations Manager
Note: there is also an opportunity to expand and carry out personal training, swim lessons, or student-based activities.
- Suitable and substantial face to face customer service experience in a similar role.
- Appropriate professional qualifications including NPLQ lifeguard qualifications or the willingness to achieve this.
- Fitness qualification (minimum Level 2 or Level 1 with the willingness to complete Level 2)
- Knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and other legislation in relation to leisure center operations.
- Understanding of Normal Operating Procedures and Emergency Action Plan.
- Recognized First Aid qualifications.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- The ability to deliver high quality customer service with minimum supervision.
- A proven commitment to the safeguarding and welfare of children.
- Experience working in an educational institution or with young people.
- Swim England level 1, Level 2 or equivalent.
- Exercise to music or fitness qualifications.
- Knowledge and understanding of international and/or independent school communities.
- Pool Plant Operators qualification
This position description is current at the date shown but following consultation may be changed to reflect or anticipate changes in the role that are commensurate with the job title and salary.
The American School in London is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all trustees, employees and volunteers to share this commitment. All new appointments will be subject to appropriate checks: Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS enhanced), Disqualification by Association Self-Declaration, Declaration of Criminal Record, checks against the Teaching Regulation Agency (TRA) Prohibition List (Teacher Status Checks) including Identity, Address, Date of Birth, a Full Employment History, Right to Work in the UK, overseas checks where applicable, at least 2 references (one with current or most recent employer, where appropriate) and original documentation of Qualifications (where appropriate). For positions into Senior Management a Prohibition from Management Check (s128 Directive) will also be undertaken.
All posts involving direct contact with children are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. However, amendments to the Exceptions Order 1975 (2013 & 2020) provide that certain spent convictions and cautions are 'protected'. These are not subject to disclosure to employers and cannot be taken into account. Guidance and criteria on the filtering of these cautions and convictions can be found on the Ministry of Justice website. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to provide details of all unspent convictions and those that would not be filtered, prior to the date of the interview. You may be asked for further information about your criminal history during the recruitment process. If your application is successful, this self-disclosure information will be checked against information from the Disclosure & Barring Service before your appointment is confirmed.
Diversity and equality of opportunity are cornerstone values of The American School in London. The American School in London will not discriminate against an applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other legally recognised protected basis under local law.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert