Ornamental Garden Team Leader - Bruton, Somerset
- The Newt in Somerset
- Bruton, Somerset
- £30,000 - £35,000 per annum + Bonus & Benefits
- Closing date
- 6 Apr 2023
- Hotel jobs, Golf Greenkeeper, Grounds Person, Head Housekeeper
- Job Type
- Full Time
Ornamental Garden Team Leader - Bruton, Somerset
Weekends required on a rotational basis
The Newt in Somerset
The Newt in Somerset has ancient woodland, historic gardens and far reaching views. It is a unique destination with Hotel, Spa, Restaurants and much more. Visitors can take a tour of the gardens, deer park and cyder press, dine in the Garden Café and visit our farm shop. Attracting some 200,000 visitors per year, The Newt in Somerset is a vibrant and thriving attraction, animated throughout the seasons by special events, workshops and education programmes.
Our Garden Team
The Gardens Team (Gardens, Edibles, Nursery & Woodlands) are dedicated to understanding, developing, curating, protecting, and managing The Newts living collection of plants, in an environment where visitors are encouraged to experience and learn about plants, garden history, habitats and to enjoy the gardens. The team run several events and workshops for our visitors over the year which include the popular daily garden tours.
Our Ornamental Team Leader
You will be a keen and enthusiastic gardener who has a proven track record in a similar role. Formal training and a wide botanical knowledge are essential as is the understanding of plant nomenclature.
You will report to the Head of Ornamental and help with the day to day management of the ornamental department and deputising when needed. So supervisory experience is essential for this role.
We are looking for a team player who can truly make a difference to the upkeep and maintenance of our amazing gardens. Excellent presentation and communication skills are a must as our garden team regularly interact with our visitors throughout the day.
- Maintain and develop the gardens, assisting with all aspects of support and maintenance of ornamental gardens.
- To be involved in visitor engagement that enhances their experience through representing the history, value and vision of the Newt
- To provide horticultural knowledge and guidance to the team of Gardeners and apprentices.
- To undertake all horticultural duties to ensure that the gardens are maintained and developed to a high standard.
- Ability to supervise, motivate and manage a team of gardeners.
- To ensure all Gardeners are appropriately trained and carry out all duties in line with the Health & Safety Policy.
- Able and willingness to support and deputise for the Head of Ornamental
- Assist in the design and implementation of landscaping schemes for existing gardens and proposed projects.
- Ensure that all hazardous substances are treated in the correct manner and the use of chemicals on the estate complies with all Risk Assessments and is recorded.
- Where necessary and appropriate, to instruct, co-ordinate and control external contractors
- To ensure that all changes in legislation, new codes of practice, new official guidance and new working practices are communicated to your team.
- Participate in education programs and conducts tours and workshops when required including but not limited to evenings and weekends.
Skills and Experience
- Minimum of four years of horticultural experience in a similar working environment.
- Certificate/Diploma and/or bachelor’s degree in horticulture, botany, or related field with 2 to 3 years’ experience; or 4 years of horticulture experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Have supervisory experience from a similar role
- Hard-working and energetic with great communication skills
- Organised and a good manager of time.
- Full and clean UK driving license.
- Understanding of Health and Safety issues
- An eye for detail and desire to achieve high standards.
- Able to undertake work of a physical nature (including contact with plants and chemicals).
- Good basic skills in the care and operation of garden machinery, hand tools /equipment.
- PA1 & PA6 and Tractor driving qualifications are desirable
- Computer literate.
Benefits: Excellent Benefits package available from day one including:
- Exceptional working environment
- Complimentary fresh estate grown meal provided each day
- Garden Membership and complimentary guest passes
- 30% online shop discount and free delivery
- 30% discount in the shops across the estate
- 30% discount at restaurants across the estate
- 30% discount on Newt cyder and Babylonstoren wine
- 50% discount in the Spa
- Access to free weekly fitness classes, including yoga and pilates
- Discounted hotel stays
- Family Estate Events
- Access to internal/external training qualifications and programmes
- Experience and Cross Training opportunities
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert