Ornamental Gardener - Bruton, Somerset
- The Newt in Somerset
- Bruton, Somerset
- £25,000 - £28,000 per annum + Benefits
- Closing date
- 6 Apr 2023
- Hotel jobs, Golf Greenkeeper, Grounds Person, Housekeeping & Maintenance
- Job Type
- Full Time
Ornamental Gardener - Bruton, Somerset
The Newt in Somerset
The Newt in Somerset has ancient woodland, historic gardens and far reaching views. It is a unique destination with Hotel, Spa, Restaurants and much more. Visitors can take a tour of the gardens, deer park and cyder press, dine in the Garden Café and visit our farm shop. Attracting some 200,000 visitors per year, The Newt in Somerset is a vibrant and thriving attraction, animated throughout the seasons by special events, workshops and education programmes.
The Gardens Team (Gardens, Edibles, Nursery & Woodlands) are dedicated to understanding, developing, curating, protecting, and managing The Newts living collection of plants, in an environment where visitors are encouraged to experience and learn about plants, garden history, habitats and to enjoy the gardens. The team run several events and workshops for our visitors over the year which include the popular daily garden tours
The Nursery team provides plant production for both edible and ornamental garden use and display, with the focus on providing produce to meet the Estate Food Vision need utilising modern facilities and practices.
You will be a keen and enthusiastic gardener who has a proven track record in a similar role. Formal training and a wide botanical knowledge is essential as is the understanding of plant nomenclature.
We are looking for a team player who can truly make a difference to the upkeep and maintenance of our amazing gardens. Excellent presentation and communication skills are a must as our garden team regularly interact with our visitors throughout the day.
- Maintain and develop the, assisting with all aspects of support and maintenance for public display.
- Assist the garden team in any projects or events planned for the visitor attraction
- To be involved in visitor engagement that enhances their experience through representing the history, value and vision of the Newt
- Participate in education programs and conducts tours and workshops when required including but not limited to evenings and weekends.
Skills and Experience
- Minimum of two years of horticultural experience in a similar working environment.
- Certificate/Diploma and/or bachelor’s degree in horticulture, botany or related field with 2 to 3 years’ experience; or 4 years of horticulture experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Hard-working and energetic with great communication skills
- Organised and a good manager of time.
- Full and clean UK driving license.
- Understanding of Health and Safety issues
- An eye for detail and desire to achieve high standards.
- Able to undertake work of a physical nature (including contact with plants and chemicals).
- Good basic skills in the care and operation of garden machinery, hand tools /equipment.
- Computer literate.
Benefits: Excellent Benefits package available from day one including:
- Exceptional working environment, fresh estate grown meal provided each day
- Employee Assistance Programme - Support 365 days a year
- 30% online shop discount and free delivery
- 30% discount in the shops across the estate
- 30% discount at restaurants across the estate
- 30% discount on Newt cyder and Babylonstoren wine
- 50% discount in the Spa
- Discounted hotel stays for staff
- Garden Membership
- Family Events 3 times per year
- Access to internal/external training qualifications and programmes
- Cross Training and career development opportunities
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert