- Medway yacht club
- Medway City Estate, Rochester
- Up to £30000 per year
- Closing date
- 13 Apr 2023
- Sports jobs, Sailing Instructor
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Full Time / Permanent £25000-£30000 dependent on skills and experience. 28 days holidays a year (days in lieu offered for working bank holidays). Free access to club boats to maintain personal development. Uniform Laptop & work phone supplied. Flexible hours required including weekends.
Located at Lower Upnor on the banks of the river Medway just down river from Chatham historic dockyard, the Club is easily accessible from all areas of Kent, Sussex, Essex and just 35 minutes from Central London. The tidal Medway on which the club operates provides excellent sailing perfect for both racing and cruising.
Medway Yacht Club (MYC) has a vibrant programme involving cruising and racing. Our cruiser section is the largest within the club, offering organised cruising and dedicated racing. The MYC racing programme includes Dragons, Sonatas, Squibs, Wayfarers, Lasers and Musto Skiff racing every weekend.
Our training programme has an excellent foundation and will need to grow further in the future.
MYC offers a year-round training programme including RYA courses for both adult and young sailors. The training team currently consists of the RYA Principal & Chief Instructor member volunteer instructors, external instructors, and further volunteer support.
PURPOSES OF ROLE
- The Chief Instructor must fully understand their responsibilities to comply with having recognised training centre status. Organise and coordinate the day-to-day operations of all training activities including equipment issue/return and safe effective and punctual delivery of any training. Supporting the office in managing administrative duties such as issuing RYA certificates for accredited courses, coordinating course and facility bookings (and stock) and recording sailing achievements.
- Promote the Club as the main sailing hub in the Medway area and as a community and corporate resource. Delivering high-quality training/courses/coaching to both adults and young people following the RYA guidelines, including RYA courses. Introduce and support keelboat training for both adults and young sailors. Ensure the Club maintains its RYA recognised Training Centre status. Deliver interesting and engaging shore-based courses, including offering informal talks and presentations. Train or assist members aiming to have some sailors in Regional and National championships. Take responsibility of MYC Junior, Youth and Adult sailing groups, training them every weekend. To support the development of the Training at the Club and the development of club sailors (both young and adults). Liaise with local schools/community groups/other associations/clubs/emergency services to encourage more interest in sailing at the club. To support any informal sailing for Club members, providing tailored private training on cruising boats including manoeuvres under engine, sail, and spinnaker work. Work with the Bosuns team to facilitate the maintenance and servicing of both the Club’s powerboats and training fleet, including SUPs. When necessary, act as Safety Boat during Club’s events or Racing. Review and improve MYC standard operation procedures. Taking part in RYA meetings, development training/webinars to keep the Club updated and relevant. Promote and support all the Regional RYA events hosted by MYC, aiming to provide a very successful service and to be the potential hub for regional courses in the SE area. Improve the involvement of Club members as volunteers, assisting the training sessions.
To deliver services effectively, flexibility will be required, and the post holder may be required to perform work not specifically referred to above.
All the employees are expected to take responsibility and comply with MYC’s policies, procedures, and training requirements particularly in relation to safety on the water, safeguarding, health and safe, diversity and inclusion. All employees must be familiar with and comply with all the aspects of MYC policies.
Experience & Qualifications:
- RYA Senior Instructor. RYA Powerboat Instructor. RYA Race Instructor. Good Microsoft Office Skills. Excellent communication skills. Minimum of 3 years’ experience working at a recognised training centre as an active SI.
- Help support general boat maintenance and repairs. SRC Instructor. Tidal experience would be an advantage. First Aid Instructor. Racing experience. Experience in providing safety cover for racing events. BSUPA Instructor. Cruisers sailing experience. Self-managing individual. Keelboat endorsed
We would like to hear from you. Further information available from the General Manager Ian Farlane email@example.com or by calling on 01634718399.
Apply for Chief Instructor
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert