Trainee/Commis Chef - The Seafood Restaurant
- Rick Stein
- £10.60 per hour plus tips
- Closing date
- 29 Mar 2023
- Pay - £10.60 per hour £10 per hour for under 18s
- Plus up to £6,000 per year in tips (based on last years figures, paid weekly)
- Flexible shifts with part and full time options
- A Disability Confident Employer & a top 100 Best Company to work for
We are looking for an enthusiastic Trainee/Commis Chef to join our friendly kitchen team at our iconic flagship restaurant, The Seafood restaurant in Padstow, Cornwall
We see ourselves as being in the 'cheering up industry' trying to make people smile with great food, drink and experiences.
Under the guidance of Head Chef Pete Murt, you'll be helping the team, using the very best, locally sourced ingredients to prepare Rick's famous seafood dishes inspired by his travels around the world.
You will also have the opportunity to apply to our apprenticeship scheme in Autumn.
What you’ll be getting up to
- Food preparation and making basic sauces
- Learning how to work the different sections in the kitchen
- Supporting the senior kitchen team
- Learning and being inspired by our senior chefs to progress to the next level
Check us out!
Want to know what it's like to work here?
Check out our 'Life at Steins' media channels
Grow your career with us
We're not just passionate about food, we're passionate about developing our people too. Our current Head Chef, Pete Murt, has worked his way up through the chef ranks from Kitchen Porter so he knows exactly how to support and develop your chef career with us. 75% of our managers have been promoted from within and we want to help you fulfil your potential. We'll invest in you with:
- Craft skills and training (wine and food tastings, supplier visits) to develop your knowledge and confidence
- Opportunities to move between parts of our business
- Encouragement to apply for bigger roles when the time is right
- Regular encouragement and support from your manager
- Flexible shifts. Family time and work/life balance is important to us, we'll work with you to find the shifts that work for your lifestyle, and full time employees can request to work a four-day week.
- Brilliant tips. On top of your salary you'll earn tips and these are paid weekly into your bank, aren't subject to NI deductions and you'll even get tips when you're on holiday!
- Staff discounts. You'll get 50% off in our restaurants, 20% in our shops and online and discounted hotel stays and cookery courses.
- Free meal for two. After one year with us, you'll get a complimentary 3 course meal for two people in one of our restaurants every year.
- Social events. You'll get the chance to meet rick and the family at fun social events and parties.
- Plenty of food. We provide great quality meals whilst on duty, the chance to taste all our dishes as well drinks and snacks whilst you're on a break.
- Staff surprises. We like to make you smile, so there'll be little treats from us throughout the year.
- Holiday. You'll get 28 days paid holiday every year which increases after 2 years.
Rick and Jill Stein started our family run business back in 1975, and today we employ over 600 happy staff. The business has grown from the first flagship Seafood Restaurant in Padstow to 10 restaurants across the south of England, plus hotel rooms, cookery school, shops and an online shop. Rick and Jill are still heavily involved in the business, as are their three sons Ed, Jack and Charlie.
Good to know...
- Parking – there is plenty of free parking available in Padstow.
- Travel to work – Padstow is on the bus route from Bodmin, Wadebridge and Newquay with regular buses throughout the day.
- You can cycle safely to work from Bodmin and Wadebridge to Padstow along the Camel Trail.
- Uniform- we provide our kitchen teams with chef whites.
We'd love to hear from you - email your cv to petemurt[at]rickstein.com or click apply to submit a quick application.
If you would like any additional support or need any reasonable adjustments at any stage, please let us know.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert