Apprentice Outdoor Activity Instructor - Condover, Shrewsbury
Take the leap into your next activity adventure!
If a 9-5 office job and sitting behind a desk all day is just not your thing, the JCA Outdoor Activity Instructor Apprenticeship is just the role for you. We will give you all the tools to climb your way to the top of the ever growing, outdoor industry and achieve industry recognised qualifications – a fantastic way to build your CV and progress within the outdoor industry!
Our activity instructors are the superstars of JCA, the kids will look up to you and see you as their hero – you’ll make sure that they’re safe and having an amazing time from breakfast to bedtime.
What will I be doing?
With JCA no two days will look the same. You’ll be the leader of the pack for activities such as fencing and archery in the sunshine, final shoot out at the laser quest and helping guests overcome their fears on the abseiling tower and aerial trek high above the trees! Your top priority will be keeping your pack safe, and making sure everyone has the time of their life.
Over the course of 13 months, we’ll give you all of the training, equipment and confidence needed in this role – so no previous experience required!
At the end of the Apprenticeship, you will achieve an industry recognised level 3 qualification in Outdoor Activity Leadership. And if that wasn’t enough, you’ll also have the chance to gain further external qualifications including:
- Fencing Leader
- FSRT & Paddle Sports instructor
- Teaching Orienteering part 1
- Archery Leader
- Emergency First aid at Work
We offer our apprentices the chance to live on site, so no boring commute to work! You’ll live and breathe what it means to be an Activity Instructor. You will make friends for life and tonnes of unforgettable memories whilst completing your apprenticeship!
The place you’ll call home is Condover Hall, our flagship centre in Shrewsbury, Shropshire. Or, if you live locally in Shropshire, you can live at home and still join the JCA team!
Over the Summer you’ll have the opportunity to branch out and experience a different type of adventure at one of our other seasonal centres across the UK.
At JCA, we have over 25 years’ experience in providing fun and educational adventures for school and youth groups. We’re big enough to challenge, small enough to care – You’ll never be just another number. We pride ourselves on having a close working relationship with all of our instructors – So if you’ve got your eye on progressing, we’ll support and help you get there. Many of our Apprentice Activity Instructors go on to become Senior Activity Instructors!
If you’re looking to branch out after your time on the apprenticeship, JCA are part of the Travelopia group made up of 30 different travel brands! You might find yourself working a season overseas with Skibound or Travelbound or joining one of the Head Office functions!
Once you’ve made your application, you will be invited to attend one of our Recruitment events at Condover Hall, Shrewsbury. The dates of the events are:
- 29th – 30th October (Full Weekend)
- 19th – 20th November (Full Weekend)
- 1st December (one day)
- 8th December (one day)
During the event you will get to meet your new colleagues, explore your potential new home/workplace and most of all, have fun! There will be the chance to try out some of our activities and really get the feel for what life is like here. Accommodation (if attending a full weekend) and meals will be covered by us for the whole event too!
What’s in it for you?
- All of your meals are included – that’s both your working days and days off!
- 2 days off each week
- JCA uniform including branded t-shirts, fleeces and jackets
- You’ll receive the National apprenticeship Wage
- On-site accommodation provided at a monthly rate – or the option to live off-site if you are local!
- Full 5 to 6 weeks training on-site including: full range of outdoor activities, health and safety, first aid, safeguarding
The extra bits:
- January 2023 start date for 13 months
- Full time position working 40 hours each week – it can include working occasional weekends
- Based at JCA’s flagship Activity Centre, Condover Hall in Shrewsbury, Shropshire
- As this role will involve working with children and young people, JCA will cover the cost of your enhanced DBS check and organise it for you
- As this position is residential, you must be 18 or over by January 2023