Collections Assistant - Nr RomseySummary
We protect everything from bats to buildings to beaches – and we want to share them with everyone too. But how do we care for our special places, while helping everyone to enjoy them and their fascinating stories? It’s no small task. In fact, it’s a big team effort and it’s why our Collections Assistant are so important.What it's like to work here
Located in the idyllic riverside gardens, between ancient trees, bubbling brooks and rolling lawns Mottisfont is full of surprises. Full of art, and featuring a colorful garden year round, Mottisfont is a popular visitor attraction and the team are always on hand to provide a fantastic experience for all, both inside the Mansion and in the gardens. The wider estate includes 1600 acres of woodland, tenanted farms and Curbridge Nature Reserve, as well as relaxing walks. Mottisfont is home to a beautiful riverside garden offering a sensory treat with glorious old-fashioned roses which are also left to produce ornamental fruit in autumn and winter.
Click here for more information about this locationWhat you'll be doing
As a Collections Assistant, you’ll be working with a great housekeeping team in an incredible place, helping with the day-to-day cleaning and care of the collections. No detail will go unnoticed, and you’ll keep a keen eye on everything from the environmental conditions in a room, to signs of wear and tear. You'll be coming in to open the house first thing before we are open to visitors to clean the show rooms and visitor route. This is to make sure that everything is clean and sparkling and presented to visitors to an excellent standard. You will also help with routine and one off tasks related to the house and our collections. You’ll keep accurate records too.
In this visitor facing role, we’d love you to talk to visitors about the work you’re doing, and the collections we have. You'll also be part of the wider team of employees and volunteers, helping to cover where necessary.
The role is for 20 hours per week. Working hours are 8am-1pm preferably on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
Please also read the full role profile, attached to this advert.Who we're looking for
We'd love to hear from you if you have;
- A keen interest in history, historic properties and conservation of their collections
- A good understanding of preventive conservation
- Knowledge of the approach required when working with fragile historic collections as well as Health & Safety and emergency procedures
- Good manual dexterity and eye-to-hand skills and ability to work from ladders and tower scaffold
- The ability to support volunteers to perform at their best
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, and are a great team player
- A willingness to undertake continuing professional development and personal skills development and have an enthusiasm to learn
The National Trust has the motto ‘For everyone, for ever’ at its heart. We’re working hard to create an inclusive culture, where everyone feels they belong. It’s important that our people reflect and represent the diversity of the communities and audiences we serve. We welcome and value difference, so when we say we’re for everyone, we want everyone to be welcome in our teams too.
- Flexible working whenever possible
- Free parking at most locations
- Free entry to our properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- Substantial pension scheme of up to 10% basic salary
Click here to find out more about the benefits we offer to support you.