Leisure Centre Manager - Stanley, Falkland Islands
This is an exciting time for sports and leisure services in the Falkland Islands. In addition to managing Stanley Leisure Centre, the Leisure Centre Manager will also play a key role in bringing the new National Sports Council facilities in to operational use. The new facilities are planned to include a 3G football/ rugby pitch and a new multi sport venue in Stanley. These new facilities will significantly increase the capacity for sport both locally and internationally.
The successful candidate will have operational responsibility for the Stanley Leisure Centre and associated services which include dual use recreation facility comprising a 25m heated indoor Swimming Pool, Sports Hall, Exercise Training Room, Squash Court and an outdoor Football Pitch. The successful candidate will ensure that Stanley Leisure Centre operates within the Government’s policies and strategies to achieve the objectives and performance standards set within the resources allocated.
The successful candidate will have operational responsibility for the Stanley Leisure Centre and associated services (these include dual use recreation facility comprising a 25m heated indoor Swimming Pool, Sports Hall, Exercise Training Room, Squash Court and an outdoor Football Pitch) and the successful candidate will ensure that Stanley Leisure Centre operates within the Government’s policies and strategies to achieve the objectives and performance standards set within the resources allocated.
The successful candidate will be a proactive and inspirational leader bringing at least 6 years supervisory management experience. They need to be able to adapt to the challenges of managing a busy sporting estate within the constraints and challenges of a small island community who are passionate about sport.
A key part of the role is to lead and develop the team to meet the changing needs of the business and to assist in the support of both the sporting and public health objectives.
As well as managing the operation they will bring their experience to manage the administrative and financial functions commensurate with working within central government.
Essential criteria for the role include:
- Well educated - to equivalent of degree level in a health & fitness or sport discipline
- A recognised lifesaving qualification.
- First aid at work qualification.
- A pool plant operator qualification.
- NEBOSH or IOSH qualification in Health & Safety at Level 3 or above.
- Fixed Term Contract, up to 4 years.
- Starting Salary £38,781 (depending on qualifications and experience) rising to £44,716
- Eligibility for a 25% gratuity, paid upon successful completion of the contract
- 30 days annual leave, plus government and public holidays (totalling 41 days leave)
- Relocation allowance, to help with moving costs.
- Flights package for you and recognised dependents at the beginning and end of contract, and additional annual return flights contingent on the duration of the contract
- Government housing for rent and a starter pack to help you settle in.
- A stimulating and supportive setting to work in and a unique and beautiful setting to live in.
Timetable for Recruitment and Selection Process
Closing Date for Applications
21 August 2022
W/C 22 August 2022
W/C 29 August 2022
Falkland Islands Government (FIG)
The Falkland Islands is a British Overseas Territory, with full internal self-government.
As the largest employer in the Falkland Islands, we offer many unique and fulfilling job opportunities, across the full spectrum of public services. Our responsibilities include those typically managed by central government – taxation, legislation and policy, as well as those usually managed on a local level such as town planning, health and social services, and education. FIG also provides services specific to the needs of the Falkland Islands, such as fisheries research, power generation and the Government Air Service, FIGAS.
The Falkland Islands
Set in the South Atlantic Ocean, around 400 miles east of South America and 8,000 miles south-west of the UK, the Falkland Islands are a small, thriving community with a British way of life, benefiting from good local services, a varied social calendar and an absence of traffic jams!
The Falkland Islands’ stunning natural environment provides an unspoiled landscape and amazing wildlife to observe and explore, including penguins, whales and dolphins, all seen from the shore.
For those with a sense of adventure, it provides opportunities which are hard to match anywhere else in the world.