Learning and Development Business Manager - Sporting House - Greater Manchester
Work with Olympic athletes and their teams on a range of expanding and forward-thinking businesses in Greater Manchester. Olympian’s Becky Adlington, Adrian Turner and Steve Parry are using their sporting passion to redefine and dominate Learn to Swim in the UK through Total Swimming Group. With a mission to revolutionise the industry you could be playing your part in every child in the UK having the opportunity to learn to swim.
Reporting to the Head of People and Culture you will lead our Total Swimming Group Learning and Development business in the effective training and development provision as part of our people strategy delivering against our targets of training and people development to service the teams across our business. You will manage all operational functions of the learning and development team including overseeing the implementation and review of allocated learning and development products and projects, managing a team of L&D leads and embedded mentors, tutors and assessors to deliver training and learning and development solutions across our business, developing and inspiring our people and ensuring our business has a thriving and high-quality workforce to achieve customer excellence and our vision.
- Manage all operational training, development, and retention provision across the business in line with business strategy and vision.
- Line management of a team of L&D officers and embedded tutors, assessors and mentors to plan, deliver, assess and review agreed qualifications and training provision in line with business standard processes and approved centre and awarding organisation regulations.
- Manage and drive commercial activity for selected learning and development offers/qualifications to external, 3rd party partners to provide revenue against business targets.
- Manage the quality assurance strategy for all Learning and Development provision to ensure internal and external compliance in line with Awarding Organisations and Ofqual regulations and standards.
- Ensure all L&D activities and materials meet with relevant organisational and statutory policies including health and safety, employment, and equality laws.
- Manage the workforce strategy in collaboration with the wider teams for the development, deployment and retention of a team of embedded mentors, assessors and tutors across the business.
- Lead as key contact for approved training centre status for Awarding Organisations to ensure operational and transactional requirements are regularly implemented.
- Play an active part in the storytelling of our people across the Sporting House brand
- Actively contribute to internal reviews and feedback to produce continual improvement strategies for future L&D provision.
- Support with recruitment events, campaigns and opportunities as agreed with the team and partners.
- Play an active part in the use of social media as an effective recruitment and brand awareness tool.
- Establish, develop, and maintain positive relationships with all stakeholders.
- Deliver only where necessary to test, review new learning and development products and to maintain currency of own delivery, assessment and verification for insight and support to the academy delivery team. • Inspire the Sporting House teams through smart ways of working, high-quality and open and honest culture.
- Supply the team and management with agreed reports on course needs, venues, problems, interests, competitive activities and potential for new training products and services.
- Keep up to date on industry updates, best practice and trends and maintain all relevant requirements for tutor licensing and currency/authorisation to practice.
- Continuously improve through feedback and actively seek opportunities to expand skill set and subject areas to expand the provision of delivery opportunities
- Implement and maintain quality policies and processes to ensure robust training provision and ensure equality of access to opportunities.
D = Desirable / E = Essential Skills and Attributes (E)
- Be self-reflective, with authenticity and an approachable, genuine desire to invest in people.
- Be able to communicate effectively, openly, and transparently.
- Be able to organise self and others with good planning and preparation skills.
- Ability to adapt approaches to meet individual learning styles and team needs.
- Demonstrate a determined and committed approach to quality of excellent standards.
- Proven ability to provide high quality and effective feedback to mentor, guide and influence others.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills to support effective working relationships at all levels internally and externally and with key team-mates and stakeholders.
- Has a positive ‘can-do’ attitude.
- Demonstrates high energy at all times.
- Excellent communication, presentation and digital technology/I. T skills.
- Can follow organizational processes and procedures.
- Able to work remotely with initiative and as part of a national team.
- Has the mental wellbeing to look after self and others.
- Reliable and trustworthy.
- A passion for the industry and change.
- Ability to travel nationally and to stay away overnight when required.
- Ability to drive with a full UK driving license.
- Technical Qualification (s) in the field of Leisure/Sport i.e., Level 2 Sports Coach (D):
- Minimum of Level 3 Education and Training (or equivalent) (E)
- Level 5 Qualified in Learning and Development provision (D)
- An appropriate assessors or internal quality assurance qualification such as L3 CAVA and/or L4 IQA. (E)
- Business or Project Management qualifications. (D)
- Leadership and Mentoring qualifications. (D)
- Knowledge of the principles and standards that underpin excellent operational delivery in Learn to swim, gymnastics and facility provision. (E)
- Knowledge of legal aspects of role and excellent practice in relation to Health and Safety, Safeguarding, First Aid, Equality and Diversity and Data Protection. (E)
- Enhanced knowledge through recent and regular CPD opportunities and vocational experience. (E)
- Sound financial acumen including knowledge of revenue/target setting and financial management packs (D) Experience
- Experience of a managing a Learning and Development function/business unit for a minimum of 5 years and within the last 5 years in a middle-senior management role. (E)
- Experience of line managing and/or mentoring others within a leisure/sports environment. (E)
- Experience of managing programmes and projects in a leisure/sports environment (E)
- Experience of positively engaging and influencing people both in direct line management/structures but also across other teams and through collaboration and teamwork. (E)
- Experience of quality standards and compliance/regulatory requirements for high quality operations and quality assurance in sport, leisure and in learning and development. (E)
- Experience of developing learning interventions using a blended approach with use of technology. (E)
- Experience of working under pressure, meeting targets and deadlines. (E)