Assistant Ranger - BushmillsSummary
Rangers have been a part of the National Trust since the beginning, our place in the organisations future means that we need to think long term about how we look after our special places. As part of the wider Ranger team, we need you to think about our impact on the environment, and find better ways to do things. What it's like to work here
You'll get to work across a wide range of places here - a typical day may start at the North Coast property group hub at Hezlett House in Coleraine (where you'll be mostly based) but you'll get the opportunity to work across the whole North Coast and experience the full range of the wide and varied tasks we do as a Ranger team. We are a dedicated and passionate group of people who work collaboratively across the whole property, and we are always keen to share our knowledge and experience with others.
You'll report to an Area Ranger, and will be working in teams that could range from 2 to 10 people, depending on what tasks are required. Lone working may be required at times but will be fully risk assessed. You may also work with other members of staff from different areas of the property, such as Marketing and Communications or Volunteering.What you'll be doing
With your endless passion for our work, you’ll help with the protection and care of habitats, wildlife, property and machinery, and your passion will inspire others to love this beautiful place as much as you do. We want you to engage with visitors, making time to talk to them, not rushing away to the next task. As an easily identifiable member of the Ranger team, on your best day you will be creating lasting memories for everyone.
So whether you’re maintaining our green spaces, assisting with guided visitor walks or delivering a wide range of engaging visitor experiences, no two days will be the same. You’ll also share and promote the work that we do here, ensuring special places like these are here to be both protected and enjoyed by everyone for ever. This will see you responding to queries and explaining the value of the work being undertaken. After all, your passion and dedication could fire the imagination that makes a visitor become a supporter for the rest of their life.
Please also read the full role profile, attached to this advert. Who we're looking for
To deliver this role successfully, you'll need to:
- Demonstrate a willingness to work alongside volunteers and be able to support them to perform at their best
- Have a commitment to customer service standards and experience of its delivery
- Demonstrate a passion for nature and the outdoors
- Have good written and verbal communication skills
- Have good people skills enabling strong relationships externally and internally, to be built and maintained
And you'll need to demonstrate the following experience on your CV;
- Practical experience in land, conservation and access management, to level 2 (or equivalent level of vocational experience)
- Some experience of delivering engagement activities that help build or strengthen visitors’ connections with nature and the outdoors
- Familiarity with machinery/equipment and practical certificates as required by the property
The National Trust has the motto ‘For everyone, for ever’ at its heart. We’re working hard to create an inclusive culture, where everyone feels they belong. It’s important that our people reflect and represent the diversity of the communities and audiences we serve. We welcome and value difference, so when we say we’re for everyone, we want everyone to be welcome in our teams too.
Wherever you’re from, and whatever your background, we want to hear from you – and it doesn’t matter if you’re jam first, cream first, or even if you don’t like scones at all. Everyone is welcome.
Benefits for working at the National Trust include:
- Flexible working whenever possible
- Free parking at most locations
- Free entry to our properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- Substantial pension scheme of up to 10% basic salary
Click here to find out more about the benefits we offer to support you.