Lulworth Castle is a stunning C17th building, set in acres of beautiful parkland, situated on the privately owned Lulworth Estate on the Jurassic Coast. The Castle is a popular visitor attraction and regularly hosts private and public events. A great opportunity has arisen to build on a career in the tourism, heritage and events sector.
Role & Responsibilities
A hands-on role responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Castle including the presentation and maintenance of displays, ticket sales & tearooms operations.
You will lead a small team of castle & tearoom stewards in the daily operations of the castle ensuring excellent customer service is given at all times and interacting with visitors to maximise the enjoyment of their visit, to include talks and tours when required. In addition, you will be responsible for preparing the Castle for events to include manual handling of banqueting furniture, cleaning & maintenance of functions furniture ensuring excellent presentation at all times as well as acting as duty manager on event days.
In addition the role will involve:
- Monitoring and changing signage, visitor routes and access as required daily
- Ensuring the health & safety of staff and visitors at all times
- Responding to security and fire alarms at the Castle & Chapel both in and out of work hours
- Performing safety testing of lighting and fire alarm systems
- Weekly and monthly reporting of figures
- Oversee stock ordering for the Castle & Tearooms
- Liaising with contractors & suppliers working at the Castle
- Building strong working relationships with regular suppliers
- Continual development of museum displays and ideas
- Care of museum collection to include in depth winter cleaning
- Assisting the Castle & Tearooms Stewards at busy times, for break cover and as required throughout the day
- Deputise for the Castle & Events Manager in their absence with venue viewings, client liaisons and report writing
Ideal Candidate Qualities, Qualifications & Skills
- Excellent written & spoken English
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office
- Excellent customer service or public engagement experience
- Driving License
- Reliable and dedicated with an eye for detail and ability to think on your feet
- Ability to multitask and work to strict deadlines
- Degree or equivalent in Tourism or Heritage related subjects
- Experience of working in a historic or tourism environment
- Experience of using tills & cash handling
- Events experience
- Personal License Holder
- First Aid Trained
- Knowledge of collections care
This is a full-time permanent role typically working 5 days Thursday to Monday with later finishes on event days.
Hours will vary during winter & summer months and on event days.
Salary dependent on experience (£23,000 -£25,000)
Closing date 31st January 2022
Interviews Early February