About the job:
As part of the Chorley Leisure team, you will be responsible for carrying out the duties in connection with delivering swimming lessons at swimming pool facilities across the Council's Leisure Centres.
To help teach and coach pupils of all ages and abilities to develop swimming skills, techniques, and confidence in the water. You will report to the Aquatics Co-ordinator and work alongside other Swim Teachers, Leisure Attendants and Duty managers to help ensure that participants are able to swim in a safe environment.
To assist in the planning, preparation, and delivery of a range of swimming lessons to all ability groups or individuals. You will communicate clear explanations and demonstrate appropriate swimming techniques to pupils.
To assess pupils’ abilities, providing feedback and encouragement to improve the performance of swimmers.
To maintain pupil registration and records of progress for each pupil taught, throughout the duration of the pupil’s enrolment. You will advise of the appropriate award of badges and certificates for swimming lesson pupils.
To be a positive role model, creating a positive environment in which to motivate and encourage participation of pupils.
To make sure safety standards are followed in sessions, ensuring safe provision and use of all equipment.
To take instruction and provide assistance to the Aquatics Co-ordinator when needed and to provide an effective poolside service.
What the successful candidate will have:
- To possess a Level 2 in teaching swimming qualification, awarded by Swim England or the Swimming Teachers Association (STA)
- Either six months proven experience of swimming teaching or evidence of a completed professional portfolio.
- Extensive knowledge of current swim teaching practices
- Excellent product knowledge and experience of equipment used for classes.
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Good IT skills in order to use electronic registers and lesson administration systems.
- Work with the Team in a positive and constructive manner to achieve results.
- Excellent planning and organisation.
- Good class management and motivational ability.
- Customer care skills
- Ability to provide constructive feedback, encouragement, and praise.
- Ability to follow direction and operate as part of a team.
- Knowledge of current safety requirements for management of swim groups.
- High personal integrity.
- A level of fitness to facilitate a safe operation of duties.
- An open and caring personality