Job Title: SPORTS AND FITNESS INSTRUCTOR
Location: The Sports Centre, Sherborne School
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week, flexible on a rota basis (Shifts to include early mornings, evenings and weekends, to coincide with Centre opening hours)
Holidays: 25 days per year + Bank Holidays.
Salary: £18,595.20 per annum (to be reviewed in September 2021). The successful candidate will need to hold/complete the RLSS lifeguard qualification and a level 2 fitness qualification.
Main Purpose: The Sports and Fitness Instructor will be involved in on-going training, plus the assessment, teaching, training and supervision of members of the public and students from Sherborne School, Sherborne Prep and Sherborne International within the Sports Centre, as well as lifeguarding duties.
References /Police Check: As Sherborne School is registered to ask ‘exempted questions’ under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, successful applicants will be subject to receipt of a satisfactory criminal record check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (a “Disclosure”) before the appointment is confirmed. This will include details of cautions, reprimands or final warnings. This post is also subject to receipt of two satisfactory written references, one of which must be your last employer.
SPECIFIC TASKS MAY INCLUDE:
- To work on the reception counter to take bookings or provide information about facilities.
- After training (if appropriate), to provide advice to individuals in the gym on the correct method of exercising with weight training equipment, exercise bikes, treadmills and other training and exercising apparatus, and devise individual exercise programs for individuals, according to age and level of fitness.
- To provide instruction in a variety of fitness activities.
- After training (if appropriate), to provide lifeguarding cover and be responsible for the swimming pool/changing room areas when on duty.
- Under instruction, to liaise with doctors, physiotherapists, dieticians and other allied health professionals to devise health and fitness programs for clients.
- To assist the Sports Centre Manager with such duties as required, for example assisting with the setting up of games, sports areas, etc.
- After training, to assess the needs and capabilities of individuals through use of measurement tools and fitness tests.
- To assist in the cleaning and general maintenance of the fitness suite, the sports centre and swimming pool/changing room areas, and ensure that equipment is maintained and correctly set up.
- To be aware of the duty of care to students at all times.
- To perform duties in accordance with the School’s Health & Safety procedures and to be aware of Health & Safety issues at all times.
- Training will be provided as appropriate and necessary to the role. This includes the RLSS full lifeguard qualification and a level 2 in fitness. Other additional class instruction lead courses may be offered as required.
- Opportunities to become involved in specific sports coaching may also be available.
The above is necessarily a general description of duties, and may not cover all duties you may reasonably be required to do.
Qualifications/Experience/Personal Qualities required:
- Applications are welcomed from either qualified instructors/lifeguards who may have had some experience within the industry, from applicants who have recently left full time education seeking a career in fitness or those who possess a passion for health and fitness and enjoy helping people.
- Good interpersonal skills, to be approachable and confident in dealing with a wide variety of people.
- Ability to communicate clearly.
- A keen interest in sports/health/fitness is desirable.
- Ability to work well as a team member, as well as use initiative where required
- Ability to be flexible in undertaking varied tasks and to ‘muck in’ as required
- Computer literacy desirable (although training will be provided on the sports centre computer software).
- The post holder must comply with School policies and procedures (to include the appropriate use of cleaning chemicals, incident and damage reporting, equal opportunities etc.)
- The post holder will have an awareness of and display commitment to the relevant legislation and guidance in working practices in relation to the safeguarding of children and young people.
- The post holder will be required to attend training sessions arranged by the School.