Operations Assistant, Residence Inn by Marriott Aberdeen - United Kingdom Posting Date
Jul 09, 2021Job Number
Food and Beverage & CulinaryLocation
Residence Inn Aberdeen, Marischal Square, Aberdeen, Aberdeen City, United Kingdom Brand
Residence Inn by Marriott helps guests thrive while on long stays so they can perform at their best. Spacious suites with full kitchens offer the comforts of the modern home, while employees provide service with a human touch to business and leisure travelers alike. Working at Residence Inn, you will build relationships grounded in team work and experience the legendary Residence Inn service culture which focuses on delivering against the unique needs of long stay guests. Find Your World at Residence Inn by Marriott.
Provide optimum service so that guest needs are met in the Rooms and Food & Beverage operations. Within Food and Beverage operations: Serve food courses and alcoholic beverages to guests. Set tables according to type of event and service standards. Answer questions on menu selections. Communicate with the kitchen regarding menu questions, the length of wait, re-cook orders, and product availability. Communicate additional meal requirements, allergies, dietary needs, and special requests to the kitchen. Record transaction in MICROS system at time of order. Check in with guests to ensure satisfaction with each food course and/or beverages. Maintain cleanliness of work areas, china, glass, etc., throughout the day. Complete closing duties, including storing all reusable goods, breaking down goods, cleaning all equipment and areas, returning equipment to proper locations, locking refrigerators, restocking items, turning off lights, locking doors, and completing daily cleaning checklist. Set up, stock, and maintain work areas. Inspect the cleanliness and presentation of all china, glass, and silver prior to use. Maintain cleanliness of work areas throughout the day, practicing clean-as-you-go procedures.
Within Guest Services and Rooms operations: process all guest check-ins by confirming reservations, assigning room, and issuing and activating room key. Process all payment types such as room charges, cash, checks, debit, or credit. Process all check-outs including resolving any late and disputed charges. Answer, record, and process all guest calls, messages, requests, questions, or concerns. Coordinate with Housekeeping to track readiness of rooms for check-in. Communicate parking procedures to guests/visitors and dispatch bell staff or valet staff as needed. Supply guests with directions and information regarding property and local areas of interest. Run daily reports (number of arrivals, departures), identify any special requests, and check reports for accuracy. Complete designated cashier and closing reports in the computer system. Cash guests' personal checks and traveler's checks. Count bank at the beginning and end of shift. Balance and drop receipts according to accounting specifications.
Follow all company and safety and security policies and procedures; report accidents, injuries, and unsafe work conditions to manager; and complete safety training and certifications. Ensure uniform and personal appearance are clean and professional, maintain confidentiality of proprietary information, and protect company assets. Welcome and acknowledge all guests according to company standards. Speak with others using clear and professional language, and answer telephones using appropriate etiquette. Develop and maintain positive working relationships with others, support team to reach common goals, and listen and respond appropriately to the concerns of other employees. Ensure adherence to quality expectations and standards. Read and visually verify information in a variety of formats (e.g., small print). Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift. Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 50 pounds without assistance. Grasp, turn, and manipulate objects of varying size and weight, requiring fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination. Move over sloping, uneven, or slippery surfaces as well as up and down stairs and/or service ramps. Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping. Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Supervisors.
Safety and Security
- Follow company and department safety and security policies and procedures to ensure a clean, safe, and secure environment.
- Follow property specific procedures for handling emergency situations (e.g., evacuations, medical emergencies, natural disasters).
- Maintain awareness of undesirable persons on property premises.
- Report work related accidents, or other injuries immediately upon occurrence to manager/supervisor.
- Use proper equipment, wear appropriate personal protective clothing (PPE), and employ correct lifting procedures, as necessary, to avoid injury.
- Identify and correct unsafe work procedures or conditions and/or report them to management and security/safety personnel.
- Follow policies and procedures for the safe operation and storage of tools, equipment, and machines.
- Complete appropriate safety training and certifications to perform work tasks.
Policies and Procedures
- Follow company and department policies and procedures.
- Ensure uniform, nametags, and personal appearance are clean, hygienic, professional and in compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Protect the privacy and security of guests and coworkers.
- Protect company tools, equipment, machines, or other assets in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Supervisors.
- Maintain confidentiality of proprietary materials and information
- Welcome and acknowledge each and every guest with a smile, eye contact, and a friendly verbal greeting, using the guest's name when possible.
- Address guests' service needs in a professional, positive, and timely manner.
- Thank guests with genuine appreciation and provide a fond farewell.
- Assist other employees to ensure proper coverage and prompt guest service.
- Engage guests in conversation regarding their stay, property services, and area attractions/offerings.
- Actively listen and respond positively to guest questions, concerns, and requests using brand or property specific process (e.g., LEARN, PLEASED, Guest Response, LEAP, MYSTIQUE) to resolve issues, delight, and build trust.
- Anticipate guests' service needs, including asking questions of guests to better understand their needs and watching/listening to guest preferences and acting on them whenever possible.
- Provide assistance to individuals with disabilities, including assisting visually, hearing, or physically-impaired individuals within guidelines (e.g., escorting them when requested, using words to explain actions, writing directions on paper, moving objects out of the way, or offering access to Braille or TDD phones).
- Speak to guests and co-workers using clear, appropriate and professional language.
- Answer telephones using appropriate etiquette including answering the phone within 3 rings, answering with a smile in one's voice, using the callers' name, transferring calls to appropriate person/department, requesting permission before placing the caller on hold, taking and relaying messages, and allowing the caller to end the call.
- Discuss work topics, activities, or problems with coworkers, supervisors, or managers discreetly and quietly, avoiding public areas of the property.
- Provide assistance to coworkers, ensuring they understand their tasks.
- Talk with and listen to other employees to effectively exchange information.
- Exchange information with other employees using electronic devices (e.g., pagers and two-way radios, email).
Working with Others
- Support all co-workers and treat them with dignity and respect.
- Develop and maintain positive and productive working relationships with other employees and departments.
- Handle sensitive issues with employees and/or guests with tact, respect, diplomacy, and confidentiality.
- Partner with and assist others to promote an environment of teamwork and achieve common goals.
Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement
- Comply with quality assurance expectations and standards.
- Read and visually verify information in a variety of formats (e.g., small print).
- Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift.
- Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 50 pounds without assistance.
- Grasp, turn, and manipulate objects of varying size and weight, requiring fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination.
- Move over sloping, uneven, or slippery surfaces.
- Move up and down stairs and/or service ramps.
- Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping.
- Enter and locate work-related information using computers and/or point of sale systems.
General Food and Beverage Services
- Maintain cleanliness of work areas throughout the day, practicing clean-as-you-go procedures.
- Complete closing duties, including storing all reusable goods, breaking down goods, cleaning all equipment and areas, returning equipment to proper locations, locking refrigerators, restocking items, turning off lights, locking doors, and completing daily cleaning checklist.
- Process all guest check-ins by confirming reservations in computer system (e.g., Fidelio, PMS, FOSSE, OPERA), verifying guest identity, requesting form of payment, assigning room, and issuing room key in accordance with property policies and procedures.
- Secure valid form of payment (e.g., credit card, cash) prior to issuing room key.
- Set up accurate accounts for each guest upon check-in according to their requirements (i.e., sharewiths, separate room/tax/incidentals, comp).
- Activate room keys using electronic key machine (e.g., Saflok) and reissue new room keys to guests as necessary (e.g., lost key) by verifying guest identity and using electronic key machine.
- Assign room according to guest request and preferences whenever possible.
- Verify and adjust billing for guests.
- Process all check-outs including express check-outs, resolving any late and disputed charges, settling account, retrieving room key, and requesting comments on guest's stay.
- Advise guest of any messages (e.g., voicemail, mail, faxes) received for them, and send to room if required.
- Accommodate requests for room changes when possible.
- File guest paperwork or documentation.
- Pre-register designated guests and prepare key packets.
- Ensure rates match market codes and that any exceptions are documented and include an explanation.
- Sell a room/accommodation to guests without reservations based on availability.
- Communicate to appropriate staff that there are guests that are waiting for an available room.
- Review requests for late check-outs and approve according to occupancy.
- Keep track of changes in room status (e.g., early check-out, late check-out, room transfer, unexpected stay over) for Housekeeping.
- Coordinate with Housekeeping to track readiness of rooms for check-in and to report guest concerns.
- Obtain and verify proper tax-exempt information for tax-exempt guests.
- Confirm reservations and cancellations.
- Instruct guests on how to access the internet (e.g., dial-up, broadband, wireless).
- Run daily reports (number of arrivals, departures), identify any special requests, and check reports for accuracy.
- Complete designated cashier and closing reports in the computer system.
- Run credit card authorization report and check for discrepancies.
- Review shift logs/daily memo books and document pertinent information in logbooks.
- Print contingency lists to have a record of all guests in case of emergency.
- Supply guests/residents with directions and information regarding property amenities, services, and hours of operation, and local areas of interest and activities.
- Contact appropriate individual or department (e.g., Bellperson, Front Desk, Housekeeping, Engineering, Security/Loss Prevention) as necessary to resolve guest call, request, or problem.
- Receive, record, and relay messages accurately, completely, and legibly.
- Answer, record, and process all guest calls, requests, questions, or concerns.
- Follow up with guests to ensure their requests or problems have been met to their satisfaction.
- Accept and record wake-up call requests and deliver to appropriate department.
- Respond to special requests from guests/residents with unique needs.
- Communicate parking procedures to guests/visitors.
- Dispatch bell staff or valet staff as needed.
- Process all payment types such as room charges, cash, checks, debit, or credit.
- Process adjustment vouchers, paid-outs, correction vouchers, and miscellaneous charges.
- Count bank at end of shift and secure bank.
- Balance and drop receipts according to Accounting specifications.
- Provide change to guests.
- Obtain manual authorizations and follow all Accounting procedures when computer system is down.
- Cash guests' personal checks and traveler's checks.
- Count bank at the beginning of shift to ensure that amounts are correct and that there is adequate change.
- Print credit check report, review status of each account, and follow up on accounts beyond approved credit limits.
- Notify Security of any guest reports of theft.
- Performs other related tasks as assigned by management.
- Flexible & trained to work in different departments required by business needs. It may include F&B, public areas including, fitness centre, front of house, back of house areas, guest bedrooms, locker rooms, canteen and offices.
- Maintain social distancing throughout the hotel, as per the guidelines from the government, wherever possible from colleagues and guests (distancing regulations will be in accordance with any government guidance).
- Wear all provided PPE instructed.
- Wash hands frequently or after each task following proper handwashing techniques. Sanitize hands on a regular basis during shifts
- Problem Solving
- Arithmetic Computation
- Computer Skills
- Team Work
- Interpersonal Skills
- Customer Service Orientation
- Diversity Relations
- English Language Proficiency
- Telephone Etiquette Skills
- Applied Reading
- Positive Demeanor
- Stress Tolerance
- Safety Orientation
- Detail Orientation
- Time Management
- Planning and Organizing
- Resolving Conflict
- Delegating and Directing
- Team Building
- Coaching and Developing
High school diploma/G.E.D. equivalent
Related Work Experience
No related work experience is required
No supervisory experience is required
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.