Residential Welfare Officer - Yorkshire
Activate are looking to hire an experienced staff member to provide welfare support to a large group of young people staying at a Pop-Up Outdoor Activity Centre as part of the National Citizen Service (NCS) programme.
NCS is a unique opportunity for 15 - 17 year olds to build skills for work and life. During the programme, approximately 150 participants will spend a week at the residential site taking part in a range of outdoor adventure activities, water sports, team building and games.
This is a short-term contract to work two separate weeks during summer: 11th July - 16th July AND 2nd August - 6th August. The successful applicant will be required to stay residentially at the site in Ampleforth, North Yorkshire during these dates.
You will be earning £85 per day with overtime paid per hour if required.
We are happy to welcome candidates from across the country as this is a residential role. You will need to be able to get yourself to and from the site on the start/end dates above.
- Responsible for the welfare and wellbeing of all young people and staff at the site working alongside the First Aid Officer
- Motivate, support and provide pastoral care
- Be able to work on a 1:1 basis with young people if needed
- Liaise with all on-site staff including Venue Manager, Catering Staff and Team Leaders to ensure that key medical information is fully understood and procedures are in place for individuals that may require extra support
- Ensure medication is stored and locked away safely if specified on medical information and plans are in place for young people to access this as required
- Making sensible, pro-active decisions to protect the welfare of all participants such as room changes, and ensuring all paperwork is altered accordingly
- Provide information, advice and guidance to both participants and staff
- Ensure all programme protocols are upheld including behaviour management, mentoring and safeguarding
- Signpost participants to any relevant resources or support
- Support the First Aid Officer during any first aid related situations
- Supervise the participants at certain times of the day and during certain timetabled activities
- Generate and support a positive atmosphere for all participants
- Support the NCS’ objectives of Social Cohesion, Engagement and Interaction
- Complete any other tasks relevant to the programme
- 2 years plus working in a welfare capacity
- Experience supporting the welfare, wellbeing and pastoral care of young people
- Experience working on a 1:1 basis with young people
- Knowledge and understanding of health and well-being strategies
- Knowledge of and qualifications in Mental Health First Aid
- Basic understanding of and qualifications in First Aid
- Previous experience working with the relevant age group (15 - 17 year olds)
- Experience working in either a school or residential setting
- Passionate about working with and supporting the development of young people
*Valid Driving Licence and the use of your own Vehicle*
Why work for us…
- Receive full support and training before the NCS programme starts
- Work with like-minded people to support young people and make a difference
- Boarding and food costs are included and will not be deducted from stated daily pay rate
- Expenses towards travel costs
- Gain fantastic, nationally recognised experience working with young people
*Every candidate will be submitted for an Enhanced DBS Check once offered a role*