Food & Beverage Supervisor - United Kingdom Posting Date
Jul 06, 2021Job Number
Food and Beverage & CulinaryLocation
Edinburgh Marriott Hotel, 111 Glasgow Road, Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh, United Kingdom Brand
Marriott Hotels ResortsSchedule
Marriott International portfolio of brands includes both JW Marriott and Marriott Hotels. Marriott Hotels
, Marriott International's flagship brand with more than 500 global locations, is advancing the art of hosting so that our guests can travel brilliantly. As a host with Marriott Hotels, you will help keep this promise by delivering premium choices, sophisticated style, and well-crafted details. With your skills and imagination, together we will innovate and reinvent the future of travel. JW Marriott
is part of Marriott International's luxury portfolio and consists of more than 80 beautiful properties in gateway cities and distinctive resort locations around the world. JW believes our associates come first. Because if you're happy, our guests will be happy. It's as simple as that. Our hotels offer a work experience unlike any other, where you'll be part of a community and enjoy a true camaraderie with a diverse group of co-workers. JW creates opportunities for training, development, recognition and most importantly, a place where you can really pursue your passions in a luxury environment. Treating guests exceptionally starts with the way we take care of our associates. That's The JW Treatment.
Ensure staff is working together as a team to ensure optimum service and that guest needs are met. Complete opening and closing duties as necessary, including setting up necessary supplies and tools, cleaning all equipment and areas, locking doors, etc. Maintain cleanliness of work areas throughout the day, practicing clean-as-you-go procedures. Monitor dining rooms for seating availability, service, safety, and well being of guests. Complete work orders for maintenance repairs and submit to appropriate department or contact directly for urgent repairs. Report any employee, guest, and/or vendor incidents and accidents to management and Loss Prevention at the time of the incident and/or accident. Communicate information to manager/supervisor by documenting pertinent information in appropriate department.
Responsible for all on-site details for executing group events, develop and follow checklist/itinerary, and troubleshoot event problems. Serve as liaison and contact person for coordinating details of events with clients, outside vendors, meeting planners, and others involved in events. Design, confirm, and communicate room layouts and set-up requirements for special events. Enter and retrieve information contained in computer databases using a keyboard, mouse, or trackball to update records, files, and reservations. Transmit information or documents using computer, mail, or facsimile machine. Operate standard office equipment other than computers. Prepare weekly departmental payroll paperwork.
Assist management in hiring, training, scheduling, evaluating, counseling, disciplining, and motivating and coaching employees; and serve as a role model. Follow all company and safety and security policies and procedures; report accidents, injuries, and unsafe work conditions to manager; and complete safety training and certifications. Ensure uniform and personal appearance are clean and professional, maintain confidentiality of proprietary information, and protect company assets. Welcome and acknowledge all guests according to company standards, anticipate and address guests' service needs, assist individuals with disabilities, and thank guests with genuine appreciation. Speak with others using clear and professional language. Develop and maintain positive working relationships with others, support team to reach common goals, and listen and respond appropriately to the concerns of other employees. Ensure adherence to quality expectations and standards. Read and visually verify information in a variety of formats (e.g., small print). Visually inspect tools, equipment, or machines (e.g., to identify defects). Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift. Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 50 pounds without assistance. Grasp, turn, and manipulate objects of varying size and weight, requiring fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination. Move through narrow, confined, or elevated spaces. Move up and down stairs and/or service ramps. Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping. Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Supervisors.
Safety and Security
- Report work related accidents, or other injuries immediately upon occurrence to manager/supervisor.
- Follow company and department safety and security policies and procedures to ensure a clean, safe, and secure environment.
- Identify and correct unsafe work procedures or conditions and/or report them to management and security/safety personnel.
- Follow property specific procedures for handling emergency situations (e.g., evacuations, medical emergencies, natural disasters).
- Follow policies and procedures for the safe operation and storage of tools, equipment, and machines.
- Complete appropriate safety training and certifications to perform work tasks.
- Maintain awareness of undesirable persons on property premises.
- Use proper equipment, wear appropriate personal protective clothing (PPE), and employ correct lifting procedures, as necessary, to avoid injury.
Policies and Procedures
- Follow company and department policies and procedures.
- Protect the privacy and security of guests and coworkers.
- Maintain confidentiality of proprietary materials and information.
- Ensure uniform, nametags, and personal appearance are clean, hygienic, professional and in compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Protect company tools, equipment, machines, or other assets in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Supervisors.
- Address guests' service needs in a professional, positive, and timely manner.
- Assist other employees to ensure proper coverage and prompt guest service.
- Welcome and acknowledge each and every guest with a smile, eye contact, and a friendly verbal greeting, using the guest's name when possible.
- Anticipate guests' service needs, including asking questions of guests to better understand their needs and watching/listening to guest preferences and acting on them whenever possible.
- Actively listen and respond positively to guest questions, concerns, and requests using brand or property specific process (e.g., LEARN, PLEASED, Guest Response, LEAP) to resolve issues, delight, and build trust.
- Thank guests with genuine appreciation and provide a fond farewell.
- Engage guests in conversation regarding their stay, property services, and area attractions/offerings.
- Provide assistance to individuals with disabilities, including assisting visually, hearing, or physically-impaired individuals within guidelines (e.g., escorting them when requested, using words to explain actions, writing directions on paper, moving objects out of the way, or offering access to Braille or TDD phones).
- Speak to guests and co-workers using clear, appropriate and professional language.
- Provide assistance to coworkers, ensuring they understand their tasks.
- Talk with and listen to other employees to effectively exchange information.
- Answer telephones using appropriate etiquette including answering the phone within 3 rings, answering with a smile in one's voice, using the callers' name, transferring calls to appropriate person/department, requesting permission before placing the caller on hold, taking and relaying messages, and allowing the caller to end the call.
- Discuss work topics, activities, or problems with coworkers, supervisors, or managers discreetly and quietly, avoiding public areas of the property.
- Prepare and review written documents (e.g., daily logs, business letters, memoranda, reports), including proofreading and editing written information to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Serve as a departmental role model or mentor by working alongside employees to perform technical or functional job duties.
- Assign and ensure work tasks are completed on time and that they meet appropriate quality standards.
- Ensure employee compliance with company standards and policies and external regulations (e.g., safety, OSHA, department-specific procedures such as food standards).
- Encourage and motivate employees to perform their best, take responsibility for tasks and assignments, make decisions and provide input on possible improvements.
- Assist management to ensure that hourly employees have the necessary resources to effectively perform their jobs (e.g., supplies, equipment, and inventory).
- Assist management in establishing and communicating goals, performance expectations, timetables and deadlines for shift or departmental operations to hourly employees and ensure that they are understood.
Working with Others
- Support all co-workers and treat them with dignity and respect.
- Handle sensitive issues with employees and/or guests with tact, respect, diplomacy, and confidentiality.
- Develop and maintain positive and productive working relationships with other employees and departments.
- Partner with and assist others to promote an environment of teamwork and achieve common goals.
- Actively listen to and consider the concerns of other employees, responding appropriately and effectively.
Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement
- Comply with quality assurance expectations and standards.
- Monitor the performance of others to ensure adherence to quality expectations and standards.
- Identify and recommend new ideas, technologies, or processes to increase organizational efficiency, productivity, quality, safety, and/or cost-savings.
- Read and visually verify information in a variety of formats (e.g., small print).
- Visually inspect tools, equipment, or machines (e.g., to identify defects).
- Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift.
- Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 50 pounds without assistance.
- Grasp, turn, and manipulate objects of varying size and weight, requiring fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination.
- Move through narrow, confined, or elevated spaces.
- Move up and down stairs and/or service ramps.
- Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping.
General Food and Beverage Services
- Report any employee, guest, and/or vendor incidents and accidents to management and Loss Prevention at the time of the incident and/or accident.
- Maintain cleanliness of work areas throughout the day, practicing clean-as-you-go procedures.
- Assist your and other departments when needed to ensure optimum service to guests.
- Complete work orders for maintenance repairs and submit to appropriate department or contact directly for urgent repairs.
- Monitor dining rooms for seating availability, service, safety, and well being of guests.
- Communicate information to manager/supervisor by documenting pertinent information in appropriate department
- Complete opening duties as necessary, including setting up necessary supplies and tools, including bank, and ensuring work area is clean and everything is in working order.
- Complete closing duties as necessary, including storing all reusable goods, breaking down goods, cleaning all equipment and areas, returning equipment to proper locations, locking refrigerators, restocking items, turning off lights, locking doors, and completing daily cleaning checklist.
Event and Sales Coordination
- Communicate to and instruct staff (e.g., Housekeeping, Food & Beverage) on how to set up event rooms to client specifications.
- Oversee all on-site details for executing group events (e.g., set-up, food, timing) by developing and following a checklist or itinerary and troubleshooting problems that occur during the event.
- Serve as the liaison and main contact person for coordinating details of events with outside vendors, meeting planners, Food & Beverage, Front Desk, Reservation Sales, Audio Visual, and others involved in events.
- Design and confirm room layouts and set-up requirements for special events with clients.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.