Executive Chef - United Kingdom Posting Date
Jul 02, 2021Job Number
Food and Beverage & CulinaryLocation
Aloft London Excel, One Eastern Gateway, London, London, United Kingdom Brand
At Aloft Hotels we're wired for next generation travelers who love open spaces, open thinking, and open expression. Aloft provides a space where style is necessary, social scenes are vibrant, and where the only direction is forward. Our guests are tech savvy and confidently social, with an eclectic style they're not afraid to show. We understand what our guests need, so we provide an affordable option for the tech-savvy design guru. We're looking for innovative self-expressers who aren't afraid to draw outside the lines. If you are someone who appreciates tech-forward features and vibrant social scenes, then we invite you to explore a career with Aloft Hotels.
Functional Job Family:
Primary Job Family:
Front Line Leader
Accountable for overall success of the daily kitchen operations. Exhibits culinary talents by personally performing tasks while leading the staff and managing all food related functions. Works to continually improve guest and employee satisfaction while maintaining the operating budget. Supervises all kitchen areas to ensure a consistent, high quality product is produced. Responsible for guiding and developing staff including direct reports. Must ensure sanitation and food standards are achieved.
Education and Experience Preferred
- 4 years of experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
- 2-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 2 years of experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Ensuring Culinary Standards and Responsibilities are met
- Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
- Reviews and adjust systems and procedures in the kitchen to ensure their effectiveness.
- Develops, designs, or creates new menus and recipes based on standards or artistic contributions.
- Demonstrates knowledge of high-quality food products, presentations and flavor.
- Ensures compliance with food handling and sanitation standards.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
- Knows and implements brand's Safety Standards.
- Supervises kitchen shift operations and ensures compliance with all Food & Beverage policies, standards and procedures.
- Ensures compliance with Marriott's quarterly global food safety audit (GFSA)
- Maintains purchasing, receiving and food storage standards.
- Ensures food cost target is met.
- Operates and maintains all department equipment and reports malfunctions.
- Supports procedures for food & beverage portion and waste controls.
- Develop and implement environmentally friendly processes and procedures for food preparation, energy use and waste management in the restaurant.
- Checks the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
- Assists in determining how food should be presented and creates decorative food displays.
Leading Culinary Team
- Supervises and coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation.
- Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
- Supervises and manages employees. Manages all day-to-day operations. Understands employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees' absence.
- Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
- Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
- Ensures and maintains the productivity level of employees.
- Ensures that menu items are prepared and presented according to use record standards.
- Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with employees and ensures employees do the same within the team.
- Estimates daily production needs on a weekly basis and communicates production needs to kitchen personnel daily.
- Leads shifts while personally preparing food items and executing requests based on required specifications.
Maintaining Culinary Goals
- Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
- Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Comprehends budgets, operating statements and payroll progress reports as needed to assist in the financial management of department.
- Schedules employees to business demands and tracks employee time and attendance.
- Understands the impact of departments operation on the overall property financial goals and objectives and manages to achieve or exceed budgeted goals.
- Orders employee uniforms according to budget and ensures uniforms are properly inventoried and maintained.
- Reviews staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational and financial objectives are met.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
- Provides services that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and retention.
- Manages day-to-day operations, ensuring the quality, standards and meeting the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
- Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
- Sets a positive example for guest relations.
- Handles guest problems and complaints.
- Strives to improve service performance.
- Helps employees receive on-going training to understand guest expectations.
- Reviews and analyses on regular basis Guest Voice scores to ensure food quality goals are met.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
- Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Identifies the educational needs of others, developing formal educational or training programs or classes, and teaching or instructing others.
- Responsible for interviewing and hiring of employee team members with appropriate skills.
- Participates in the employee performance appraisal process, providing feedback as needed.
- Solicits employee feedback, utilizes an "open door" policy and reviews employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or concerns.
- Participates in training all the kitchen staff on menu items including ingredients, preparation methods and unique tastes.
- Provides information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Attends and participates in all pertinent meetings.
- Adaptability - Determines how change impacts self and others; displays flexibility in adjusting priorities; and communicates both the reasons for change and how it impacts the workplace.
- Communication - Customizes approach to conveying complex information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner; appropriately interprets verbal and non-verbal behaviour; and models active listening to ensure understanding.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Models and coaches others on breaking complex issues into manageable parts, identifying and evaluating alternatives and their implications before making decisions, and involving and gaining agreement from others when making key decisions.
- Professional Demeanour - Exhibits behavioural styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Building and Contributing to Teams - Leads and participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements for self and/or others to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
- Co-worker Relationships - Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer needs and actions consistent with the company's service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of team assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Talent Management - Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Applied Learning - Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach team, business, and administrative challenges.
- Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges
- Cleaning Materials, Equipment, and Techniques - Knowledge of use, handling, storage, and disposal of cleaning chemicals and equipment (including Material Safety Data Sheet requirements), and use of personal protective equipment.
- Housekeeping Tracking and Inventory - Knowledge of inventory and purchasing policies, procedures, and best practices. This includes the ability to track and maintain inventory, order and track receivables and payments, set up and maintain inventory systems or logs, and basic cart care.
- General Housekeeping - Knowledge of procedures, policies and techniques for cleaning all public areas, trash handling and removal, room item replenishment and placement, treatment of room damage and stain removal, use of cleaning supplies, floor care and maintenance, general housekeeping codes, cart care, spa linen, uniform control, inventory management, room status change systems and opening and closing of the house. Ability to use general housekeeping codes to indicate room readiness.
- EIWO (Everything In Working Order) - The ability to inspect and identify guest room components (e.g., light bulbs, remote control, air conditioning units, toilets, appliances, vacuums) for functional deficiencies. This includes reporting procedures.
- General Laundry - Knowledge of proper processing of various types of textiles, fabrics and colors, including techniques stain removal, dry cleaning, washing and drying of terry, F&B linens, and bed sheets. Linen quality control, to include discards, ragging, etc.
- Environmental Sustainability - Knowledge of products and procedures that reduce, recycle or reuse natural resources such as bed linen and towel re-use programs.
- Security/Loss Prevention - Knowledge of the procedures and techniques for property surveillance, property locks and keys, emergency situations, and legally defensible incident, accident, and injury investigations.
- Public Safety - Knowledge of processes and procedures to ensure public health and safety in regards to Norovirus and Bloodborne pathogens and pest elimination (i.e. bed bugs, ants, etc.).
- Preventative Maintenance - Knowledge of general cleaning programs and policies to extend the life of materials and areas. For example, knowledge of carpet, tile, and floor care including daily cleaning, heavy extraction, and interim cleaning.
- Purchasing and Materials Management - Knowledge of practices and procedures needed to maintain material, equipment and supplies; including vendor identification and contract negotiation, supply requisition and purchasing, and inventory control.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - Demonstrates ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - Demonstrates ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Demonstrates understanding of written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
- Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
This document reflects the job content at time of writing and will be subject to periodic change in the light of changing operational and environmental requirements. Such changes will be discussed with the jobholder and the job description amended accordingly
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.