Sous Chef - London Posting Date
Jul 02, 2021Job Number
Food and Beverage & CulinaryLocation
Aloft London Excel, One Eastern Gateway, London, London, United Kingdom Brand
At Aloft Hotels we're wired for next generation travelers who love open spaces, open thinking, and open expression. Aloft provides a space where style is necessary, social scenes are vibrant, and where the only direction is forward. Our guests are tech savvy and confidently social, with an eclectic style they're not afraid to show. We understand what our guests need, so we provide an affordable option for the tech-savvy design guru. We're looking for innovative self-expressers who aren't afraid to draw outside the lines. If you are someone who appreciates tech-forward features and vibrant social scenes, then we invite you to explore a career with Aloft Hotels.
Position: Sous Chef Date: July 2021
Business Unit: Aloft London Excel
Job Family: Culinary
Reports to: Executive chef
Career Band: Red Banded
TECHNICAL SKILLS & JOB CONTENT KNOWLEDGE
- Knowledge of all Food & Beverage standards, quality presentation, service and products and local health and sanitation
- Estimates and communicates daily production needs
- Demonstrates proper and safe usage of all kitchen equipment
- Knowledge of all standard procedures and policies pertaining to food preparation, receiving, storage and sanitation
- Responds appropriately to guests' needs during the hours of operation
- Ability to support the control of food cost
- Ability to assess quality control and adhere to service standards
- Ability to clearly define productivity standards with quality requirements and methods required to obtain them
- Be trained well on the Birch St system involving placement of food orders
- Ensure that placement of all food orders are processed through the Birch St system on a daily basis
- Ensure that the dry store storage levels are maintained and stocks are rotated effectively
- Check that all food and beverage outlets' orders are at the correct level and do not surpass the stocks which are required
- Ensure that the wage overtime forecast is submitted each week and authorised by the Executive Head Chef
- Ensure that the weekly rota is organised in an efficient manner by exercising flexibility in rostering at all times
- Ensure accuracy in the weekly time sheets and that they are in accordance with the weekly forecast
- To ensure that revised or new Marriott standards are upheld in product
To ensure that revised or new Marriott standards are upheld in product
- To manage the Kitchen operation in the absence of the Executive Head Chef
- To ensure all Food & Beverage procedures are as per the current European Minimum Standards
- To communicate and support the Food & Beverage development strategy of all products
- To support effectively and positively the operational changes, policies and procedures with direct reporting
to the Executive Head Chef Innovation
- To effectively support the process of maintaining the products, progress with ideas and input
- Positively identify and acknowledge excellence in operations and maintain effective and appropriate liaisons
Coaching & Mentoring
- To identify to the Executive Head Chef the potential candidates for promotion within the Brigade
- To assist the departmental trainer in the setting up and implementation of training records for all of the chef brigade
- To assist in the process of photographing and recipe building of all Banqueting starters and main courses
- To implement all recipes for basic, stocks, sauces, dressings, etc
- To train and develop all the above disciplines to all junior members of staff
- To prepare and update a departmental training manual
- To ensure attendance of Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel training sessions and any additional training
opportunities that are available
- To conduct appraisals on all employees up to the position of Chef de Partie every three and six months, as well as on a
yearly basis Communication
- Attend all EES Feedback meetings
- Attend the quarterly Connections meetings
- Attend the monthly Kitchen Communications meetings
- Attend the weekly Sous Chefs' meetings
- Present the appropriate topics at staff meetings upon request
- To support the Food & Beverage food cost target, with control of wastage and productivity to ensure maximum profit
- To be aware of all health and safety regulations, fire procedures and hygiene laws
- To ensure that each member of the team has the correct uniform available to them whilst working and that they are
presentable in line with agreed uniform standards.
Professional Demeanour & Conduct
- To support the EES and G.S.I. targets as agreed with the Executive Head Chef
- To practice, maintain and educate other team members on the all relevant kitchen standards and procedures
- To develop a working knowledge of the total kitchen financial processes and carry out ordering duties in absence
of Executive Head Chef
- To advise the Executive Head Chef of guest complaints and initiate responses for approval from the Front of House
- To develop a working knowledge of Kitchen P&L
- To understand and be capable of carrying out total Kitchen operation, incorporating all hotel F&B and outlets functions.
- To project a pleasant positive and professional image to all contacts at all times
- To build a network amongst fellow colleagues in sister and competitor hotels
- Identify potential employees during the process of interviewing in order to ensure that the standards are maintained
in all food and beverage areas.
- Understand and support all Marriott programs which are applicable to Food & Beverage
- Communicate and liaise with the Executive Head Chef on Banqueting and food, operational issues, standards
Education and experience
- High school / college diploma & 6-10 years' experience in kitchens or related professional area.
- Professional Demeanour - Exhibiting behavioural styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; making a good first impression and representing Marriott in alignment with its values.
- Adaptability - Maintaining performance level under pressure or when experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
- Driving for Results - Setting high standards of performance for self and/or others; assuming responsibility for work objectives; initiating, focusing, and monitoring the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively taking action and going beyond what is required.
- Building and Contributing to Teams - Leading and participating as a member of a team to move toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
- Co-worker Relationships - Interacting with other in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
- Customer Relationships - Developing and sustaining relationships based on an understanding of customer needs and actions consistent with Marriott's Spirit to Serve.
Learning and Applying Personal Expertise
Technical Acumen - Understanding and utilizing professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
- Computer Skills - The ability to use computer systems and software packages to input, access, modify, store, or output information or to execute programs or analyses. This includes the ability to enter and retrieve data from computer systems using a keyboard, mouse, or trackball. Basic trouble shooting skills, for computers, printers and in room guest technologies. Ability to adapt to changing technologies.
- Problem Resolution - Ability to record, track and resolve guest problems via property software (i.e. Guest ware, Fosse, etc.) handle emergencies, and effectively deal with customer issues and complaints
Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Using ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Mathematical Reasoning - the ability to add, subtract, multiply or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - the ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Performs other related tasks as assigned by management.
- Complies with Marriott International Hotels Limited Regional Office policies and procedures.
- Working hours as required to do your job but normally not less than 40 hours per week.
- Ensure you comply with the Hotel Grooming standards
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.