Kickstart Assistant Culinary - United Kingdom Posting Date
Jun 30, 2021Job Number
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, Ware, Hertfordshire, HERTFORDSHIRE, United Kingdom Brand
Marriott Hotels ResortsSchedule
Marriott International portfolio of brands includes both JW Marriott and Marriott Hotels. Marriott Hotels
, Marriott International's flagship brand with more than 500 global locations, is advancing the art of hosting so that our guests can travel brilliantly. As a host with Marriott Hotels, you will help keep this promise by delivering premium choices, sophisticated style, and well-crafted details. With your skills and imagination, together we will innovate and reinvent the future of travel. JW Marriott
is part of Marriott International's luxury portfolio and consists of more than 80 beautiful properties in gateway cities and distinctive resort locations around the world. JW believes our associates come first. Because if you're happy, our guests will be happy. It's as simple as that. Our hotels offer a work experience unlike any other, where you'll be part of a community and enjoy a true camaraderie with a diverse group of co-workers. JW creates opportunities for training, development, recognition and most importantly, a place where you can really pursue your passions in a luxury environment. Treating guests exceptionally starts with the way we take care of our associates. That's The JW Treatment.
Who are you?
As a Kickstart Assistant - Culinary Chef, you are responsible for ensuring that you work to the expected standards of a professional Kitchen environment, to implement all day to day relevant and assigned tasks and responsibilities adequate to hygiene, check points and Brand Standard levels. The Kickstart Assistant in will support the team in providing guests with excellent service in a warm, positive and hospitable manner in the Front of House areas during any guest interaction, with an emphasis on customer care at all times. You will build your skills and train to understand Health and Safety guidelines, COVID-19 Protocols, local established service procedures and how to maintain good hygiene practices in line with company guidelines. A Kickstart Assistant will understand & foster the Art of Hosting culture. The Kickstart Assistant will be assigned a buddy who will guide them on department procedures and hotel protocol.
As a Kickstart Team member, you don't need to have any prior experience, but you do need to have the following skills:
Education or Certification
- Passion for cooking
- Attention to detail
- Good communication skills
- Ability to be proactive and reliable
- Good timekeeping
- Ability to follow Instructions
- Willingness to learn
- Desire to take care of our guests
- Positive attitude
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Good level of English essential
- First Aid Certification desirable
- Food hygiene certification desirable
What will you do?
- Provide a consistently high level of service and hospitality to all Members, Guests and internal customers at all times and in all areas of the Kitchen including but not limited to the main Kitchen, larder, pastry, banqueting and any show Kitchens.
- Ensure tasks carried out are in line with Company Brand Standard requirements and established SOP's in all areas of the Kitchen.
- Learn to anticipate guest needs and go the extra mile in making the guest experience memorable & brilliant. Use the guest's name often during any interaction.
- Be knowledgeable about daily hotel operations, check daily events and be up to date with all changes and activities in the hotel.
- Train to prepare ingredients for cooking, including portioning, chopping, and storing food. Wash and disinfect kitchen area including tables, tools, knives, fridges, freezers and equipment to ensure sanitary conditions and meet the departmental standards, including using sanitizers required by health department.
- Prepare and cook food according to recipes, quality standards, presentation standards, and food preparation checklist. Prepare cold foods.
- Train to operate ovens, stoves, grills, microwaves, and fryers and other equipment.
- Test foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently. Monitor food quality while preparing food.
- Set-up and break down workstation. Serve food in proper portions onto proper receptacles.
- Wash and disinfect kitchen area, tables, tools, knives, and equipment. Check and ensure the correctness of the temperature of appliances and food using thermostats and thermometers, including monitoring freezer systems, such as fans, drains, and doors, for proper operation, and report issues or problems to management.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of company Food Safety Programmes within assigned area of responsibility, as well as all local regulations.
- Be aware of accident prevention and help enforce safe work conditions - zero accident is our goal. Report work related accidents, or other injuries immediately upon occurrence to manager/supervisor.
- Follow and ensure compliance with food safety and handling policies and procedures, such as product rotation, First In-First Out (FIFO); dating, labelling, cleaning, and organizing coolers/freezers/storage areas; and Cold Chain compliance, across all food-related departments and areas.
- Regular Kitchen duties may include staff canteen and Kitchen Porter tasks as required.
- Personal hygiene standards to be maintained at all times at the highest-level including washing hands regularly.
- Ensure uniform standards are maintained, appropriate footwear (safety shoes) and name tags are worn, uniform must always be clean and fresh. You must be an ambassador for the brand.
- Comply with Fire Regulations, Health & Safety and Food Hygiene legislation and policies, as per the Associate Handbook and the Hotel Health & Safety Policy.
- Follow Covid-19 protocol and wear appropriate PPE in line with Company guidelines and Health & Safety guidelines. Ensure cleanliness and sanitation of all front and heart of house areas. Follow social distancing measures in place as per Company & Government guidelines.
- To ensure walk-in fridges are secured at all times.
- Record and report any maintenance defects to your Line Manager and Maintenance.
- To Comply with Marriott International Hotels Limited Regional Office policies and procedures at all times.
- Maintain confidentiality of proprietary information; protect company assets including protect the privacy and security of guests and coworkers.
What training will I receive?
We are committed to providing you with a balanced training plan that will not only help you gain or enhance your knowledge of the hospitality industry but will also help you acquire many life-skills. The list below are some examples
- Company Orientation including Marriott Culture & Art of Hosting
- Health & Safety and Covid-19 training such as Fire training, COSHH, Commitment to Clean, Manual Handling, Disability Awareness, Electrical Safety
- Discipline specific training such as Great Food Safe Food
- Information Security Protection
- Human Trafficking
What does success look like?
Success in this role will be specific to the individual but will typically include:
- Completion of the Kickstart Placement
- Completion of all training on your Personal Training/Development Plan
- Positive Performance during the Placement as measured by regular and end of placement reviews with your Line Manager/Supervisor
- Positive contribution to our business as measured by our Guest Voice / Guest Feedback
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.