Bar and Events Manager
£23,000 - £26,000
College Lane Campus - Hatfield
The post holder will supervise student staff and liaise with contractors.
The post holder reports to the Operations Manager as well as working closely with other staff, Students’ Union Managers and Elected Officers.
The post holder will come into contact with students, Students’ Union Managers, staff and elected officers and University staff. external companies, external clients, local authorities and agencies
Vision: Our vision at Hertfordshire Students’ Union is to help students love their life at Herts. Our Commercial team is a core part of our vision so we can continue to put students at the heart of every service we run on behalf of students at the University of Hertfordshire Values: We are a truly values-led organisation. As such, we’re looking for someone who lives our HERTS values of being helpful, empowering, representative, transparent and student-focused. We encourage our team to have fun at work while never losing sight of our vision. Service Excellence: We go above and beyond for our students and each other – we’re committed to providing excellent service across the board and we support each other to prioritise this every day.
Equality and Diversity Commitment
Hertfordshire Students’ Union is committed to diversity and inclusion amongst its staff, reflecting the communities it serves. We welcome applications from Male applicants, Black, Asian and ethnic minority backgrounds, as they are underrepresented within the Union’s professional staff team. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Key role requirements:
- To support the effective co-ordination and delivery of the licensed venues run by HSU in a safe and professional manner in line with commercial objectives
- To uphold the licensing objectives and relevant legislation of the HSU Venue ensuring the exemplary standards in line with local, national legislation and government guidance.
- To deliver an exceptional level of service to all users of the venue
- Complete all duties and be responsible for the venue operation in the absence of the Operations Manager.
- To duty manage venue events
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Making the venues a safe, welcoming and fun social venue on for all students to enjoy
- To undertake a share of duty management shifts on a rota pattern (days, nights & weekends Inc. national and university holidays if required)
- To operate and lead the bar function of ensuring high levels of customer service and efficiency with consistent monitoring, setting the example for all staff.
- To lead on the recruitment, training and ongoing support of part time and externally contracted staff ensuring they can excel in their role. Ensuring they are appropriately trained, met with regularly and development need identified.
- Ensure that stock management is carried out (orders, line checks, stock audits, Epos stock system, accepting and checking deliveries) and overseeing the POS function
- Involvement in new product research and development, pricing structures and menu planning to ensure maximum profitability to the area.
- Undertake financial duties including cashing up, banking, safe checks and variance investigations within published guidelines
- To ensure all health & safety, legislation and food hygiene is always adhered to in line with any HSU policies, procedures and safe systems of work. Contributing to a positive safety culture and ensuring incident reporting is done to an excellent standard
- To have knowledge and monitor the venue’s performance against budget to ensure maximum efficiency is achieved
- Ensure the venue is maintained to a high standard, ensuring faults are reported, where relevant extra cleaning is sourced and to assist with all relevant duties associated with running a night club and bar.
- Assist the Operations Manager in the successful planning and execution of private hires
- To assist the Activities team on the delivery of student led events within the venue
- To contribute to all team meetings and regularly review the effectiveness of all processes and procedures in the venue.
- Support Operations Manager in delivering entertainment and events across all licensed trade venues
- Maintain professional relationships with University staff, suppliers, Licensing authorities, the Police and Environmental Health Officers
- To work flexibly and efficiently and to promote a positive image of Hertfordshire Students’ Union always.
- Assistance with coordination of the departments fresher’s/refreshers events as needed
- Supporting the wider Unions activities and events during the fresher’s period including supporting the set-up/down of events and facilitating stalls and promotional stands.
- To develop and maintain contacts with colleagues within other Students’ Unions and relevant organisations, including site visits to other Students’ Unions.
- Being friendly and respectful of others in order to maintain a safe and considerate workplace in line with our values of being Helpful, Empowering, Representative, Transparent and Student-focused.
- To keep abreast of relevant national and local developments, changes in legislation, and good practice and attend conferences, training events and meetings as necessary.
- To aspire to the highest standards of customer care at all times and, in conjunction with other relevant Union staff, to identify and respond to customer needs.
- To respect the democratic structure of the Students’ Union at all times.
- To abide by Hertfordshire Students’ Union Memorandum and Articles of Association, and Union Policies and Procedures at all times.
- To set high standards of integrity, punctuality, accuracy, politeness and professionalism by personal example.
- To be aware of the department’s impact on the environment and to work within the environmental policies of the Union and the University (where applicable).
This document outlines the general duties required for the time being for the post of Research Coordinator. This is neither a comprehensive or exhaustive list and the duties may be varied from time to time and may be changed and be added to or deducted from. Any changes will not alter the general character of the job and/or level of seniority or responsibility, unless following on from discussion and agreement.
Good general education, to degree level or equivalent
Extensive experience of managing a bar function and stock management and rota management
Previous experience of event duty management (preferably nightclubs)
Cash handling experience and point of sale experience
Experience of managing large number of part time staff, with training and support
Ability to create and maintain strong working relationships with a wider range of people including university staff and external providers
Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to communicate at all levels
Ability to overcome hurdles and problems in a constructive manner
Self-motivated and self-reliant
Punctual and well organised
A good team player and pro-active with drive and enthusiasm
Facilitative of others’ ideas and non-judgemental
Flexible working, including nights, evenings and weekends where required.
Has a strong commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion
Knowledge of key issues affecting students in Higher Education
Health and Safety qualification (IOSH or NEBOSH equivalent)
Personal License Holder
SIA Badge Holder
Previous experience of working in a democratic organisations or a Students’ Union