Sales and Events Manager
Flexible working hours available.
Are you a resilient and disciplined sales and events professional, positively brimming with innovative ideas for providing guests with magical experiences? If so, continue reading to find out more about this superb career opportunity to join one of the most popular visitor attractions in Greater Manchester.
Based in the heart of Bury, we are the East Lancashire Railway (ELR), a lovingly restored heritage railway which journeys for twelve miles through picturesque scenery from Heywood in the East to Rawtenstall in the North. Pre-Covid the railway was welcoming over 200,000 visitors a year with well-equipped stations complete with cafés, pubs, gift shops and a Transport Museum and plenty of things to see and do around the line.
The future is bright here at ELR. We have been resilient in the face of the Covid-19 pandemic, and as demand begins to rise there is so much potential to be unlocked from our range of offerings, and as a non-profit making company any surplus is reinvested straight back into the restoration of our heritage traction and rolling stock.
The Role – Sales and Events Manager
Reporting to the Commercial Manager, as the Sales and Events Manager you’ll be responsible for planning, delivering and improving our events programme, retail offering, and new business initiatives – focusing on maximising revenue to ensure we can continue to provide guests with unforgettable memories for generations to come.
From our Halloween Ghost Trains, to the Santa Specials and a high-profile visit of the Flying Scotsman, along with plenty of other events in our packed programme, we already have a thrilling 2021 in store for guests. However, you’ll be given the opportunity and creative freedom to generate new ideas for exciting events and initiatives, whilst playing a key role in further developing our wedding offering. Your duties will also include, although not be limited to:
- Overseeing the team of volunteers who work both within the retail store and during events
- Managing and developing the retail offering to boost revenue, including analysing the range of current and potential product sales
- Working closely with the Marketing Team and Passenger Services Manager to maximise promotion of revenue generating activities
- Conducting and evaluating market research to improve performance, and regularly analysing and reviewing the pricing policy against competitors
- Benchmarking event performance against best industry practice and developing future event strategies based on key findings and economic conditions
Our Requirements – Sales and Events Manager
- Proven experience of working in a commercial sales and event management role, gained ideally within a charity or the tourism, leisure and hospitality industry
- Results focused, with the ability to use your own initiative; recognising, creating and seizing opportunities to implement innovative ideas to achieve results
- Resilient, disciplined and highly organised
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to build effective working relationships at all levels
- IT literate with good knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook
Although not essential, experience of working with volunteers would be highly advantageous.
As the Sales and Events Manager, you will be based at our office in Bury (Lancashire) and be part of a passionate and close-knit team where you’ll have the opportunity to really make your mark and demonstrate your skills. In addition, you will benefit from:
- An attractive salary, with level dependent on experience
- Company pension scheme
- Free travel on East Lancashire Light Railway services
- Plenty of social activities
- Permanent contract, working 38 hours per week (flexible working is available, although you will be required to work evenings, weekends and bank holidays in accordance with event demands, and where this applies time will be given back in lieu.)
All applications for this Sales and Events Manager vacancy are to be submitted online, and strictly no agency calls or agency CV submissions.