Post of Leisure Supervisor at St Mary’s Calne Sports Centre
St Mary’s Calne Sports Centre has an indoor swimming pool (25m x 13m), a good-sized fitness suite, an indoor sports hall (34m x 20m) and a dance studio. This development represents a significant investment by the School in its facilities, for use by the pupils of St Mary’s and St Margaret’s Schools and the wider community on a membership basis.
Position: Leisure Supervisor ( x 2 vacancies)
Salary: £18,696 - £19882
Scale: S7 – S9
Pension: Pension scheme available
Hours: 40 hours per week including paid lunch
Holidays: 32 working days (inclusive of bank and public holidays)
Line Manager: Centre Manager, Duty Managers, Facility Officers
Purpose of Post: To maintain effective operation of the centre within the guidelines of St Mary’s School Services’ Health and Safety legislation.
We are seeking to employ two Leisure Supervisors who will be the point of contact for members and visitors to the Sports Centre’s state of the art facilities, as well as supervising the general building on a day to day basis.
You will be expected to provide a warm, welcoming service, promoting a culture and ethos of health and well-being. St Mary’s Calne Sports Centre believes in sporting excellence in all genres of sport. As a school community, we thrive to offer first class sporting facilities amidst a culture of high education, expectation and sports science. We seek to provide, nurture and develop the concept of high performance and healthy lifestyles.
- Assist with the opening up and closing down of the centre (where necessary) including start up procedures, cashing up, counting float etc.
- Oversee day to day operation of the Sports Centre, supervise and assist with lifeguarding the swimming pool and ensure any equipment required for specific activities is set up in accordance with the swimming pool programme.
- Oversee the health and safety of the swimming pool, fitness suite, sports hall, dance studio, multipurpose room and all other facilities when on shift.
- Have knowledge of all front office/front of house procedures and manage reception whilst on duty.
- Assist with the supervision of the gymnasium, ensuring that all members and pupils comply with present rules, and assist with gym inductions if required.
- Carry out daily routine pool tests and pool plant operations.
- To ensure visits to the centre by members and pupils are enjoyable and assist with any enquiries or problems.
- To provide first aid treatment when necessary, ensuring accident reports are completed where necessary.
- Cover the Facility Officers during leave/sickness or when necessary.
- To be familiar with all emergency procedures, and ensure that members and pupils are never exposed to unnecessary risks.
- Assist the Sports Centre with its retention and attrition strategies.
- Ensure all cleaning, maintenance and daily recreation tasks are complete, acting in accordance with existing checklists and health and safety procedures relevant to particular shift patterns.
- Ensure financial procedures are followed at all times.
- Ensure facility inspections are completed within one hour of commencing shift when required.
- To wear correct uniform and use PPE (personal protective equipment) where required and ensure all other staff wear correct uniform and PPE.
- Conduct annual appraisal for member of staff you are responsible for (i.e. Recreation Assistant – Dryside).
- Adhere to the Centre’s integrated management procedures and ensure that members and pupils are never exposed to unnecessary risks.
- To perform any other duties that may be considered necessary by the Centre Manager, Duty Officers or Facility Officers.
We are seeking to hire two Leisure Supervisors. Job descriptions can be requested by emailing - email@example.com.
1 x Supervisor (Purchasing & Dryside Bookings)
1 x Supervisor (Cleanliness & Wetside Bookings)
Essential - Minimum 18 months experience in the leisure industry
Essential - RLSS National Pool Lifeguard Qualification
Essential - Pool Plant Operators Certificate
Essential - Nationally recognised first aid qualification
Desirable - Nationally recognised fitness qualification
Desirable - Good typing and administrative skills
Desirable - Recognised fitness teaching qualification
Desirable - 12 months supervising experience.
Pupil Orientated Responsibilities: In conjunction with the Centre Manager
- Develop the facility for pupils’ use.
- Liaise with the Director of Sport of St Mary’s Calne, Headmistress of St Mary’s Calne and Headmaster of St Margaret’s Prep.
- Ensure the facility is set up ready for teaching staff as required.
- Support the teaching staff as necessary.
- These responsibilities are not exhaustive and may include any other reasonable duties as required by the Sports Centre Manager, Bursar, Headmistress of St Mary’s Calne or Headmaster of St Margaret’s Prep.
Personality & Attitude:
- A flexible approach is required when working a shift pattern that includes some antisocial hours and weekend work.
- Approachable, friendly and reliable and able to adapt to a range of user groups.
- Adaptable to various situations and be able to make effective decisions under pressure.
A full application will be required and will be sent to all shortlisted candidates. Please ensure your contact information is up to date upon application. St Mary’s is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of pupils. Due to the nature of the work involved, the successful applicants will be required to undertake an Enhanced DBS check.