Residential Outdoor Activities Manager - Yorkshire
Activate are looking to hire an experienced staff member to manage all Outdoor Activities at a Pop-Up Outdoor Activity Centre during a National Citizen Service (NCS) programme.
NCS is a unique opportunity for 15 - 17 year olds to build skills for work and life. During the programme, approximately 150 participants will spend a week at the residential site taking part in a range of outdoor adventure activities, water sports, team building and games. An external company will be providing certain outdoor adventure activities with the Outdoor Activities Manager’s role to coordinate with the external company and also lead some of the activities themselves.
This is a short-term contract to work two separate weeks during summer: 11th July - 16th July AND 2nd August - 6th August. The successful applicant will be required to stay residentially at the site in Ampleforth, North Yorkshire during these dates.
We are happy to welcome candidates from across the country as this is a residential role. You will need to be able to get yourself to and from the site on the start/end dates above.
You will be earning £90 per day with overtime paid per hour if required.
- Supervise and coordinate all outward bound/outdoor activities across the residential site
- Take a leading role in the co-ordination and running of a full day navigation & bushcraft challenge
- Manage and work with the Outdoor Activities Coordinator
- Coordinate with and support any External Activity Providers who are delivering activities on the site
- Manage the set up, delivery and take down of timetabled outdoor activities
- Checking and maintaining all outdoor facilities
- With support from the Venue Manager and Stores Manager, make sure all facilities and any equipment needed is ready and set up in line with the timetables for each group of young people
- Ensure all NCS staff know where their groups need to be
- Follow all risk assessments for activities
- Follow and maintain all health & safety procedures
- Respond to any problems and emergencies effectively and quickly
- Work alongside the Stores & Equipment Coordinator, the Venue Manager and any External Activity Providers to ensure the smooth running of the NCS programme at the site
- Engage with the young people, activities and the NCS programme on site
- Complete any other programme related tasks
- Knowledge of and experience working in an outward bound / outdoor activity setting
- Strong experience leading large groups in outdoor activity
- Experience in outdoor learning / education is desirable
- Ability to read and understand OS Explorer maps
- Ability to quickly understand and follow timetables and schedules, and be able to adapt and respond to any changes as needed
- Experience of working at residential venues
- Previous experience managing staff
- Knowledge and understanding of healthy & safety procedures
- Relevant first aid qualification with experience in administering first aid & reporting first aid incidents
- Strong organisational and communication skills
*Valid Driving Licence and the use of your own Vehicle*
Why work for us…
- Receive full support and training before the NCS programme starts
- Work with like-minded people to support young people and make a difference
- Boarding and food costs are included and will not be deducted from your agreed pay rate
- Gain fantastic, nationally recognised experience working with young people
*Every candidate will be submitted for an Enhanced DBS Check once offered a role*