Operations & Buying Director - Wootton Abattoir - Staffordshire
Daylesford Organic is the most diverse organic meat farmers and processors in the UK. We pride ourselves in owning the whole story, from the feed we sow to our own onsite organic abattoir, we own every step of the process, all overseen by passionate individuals who share the Daylesford philosophy.
We are looking for a passionate, commercially astute Operations & Buying Director to join our team and lead our operation at Wootton Organic Wholesale, Staffordshire.
We are offering a competitive annual salary plus bonus scheme for this role.
About the role
Wootton Organic Wholesale is the beating heart of our organic Meat category. Centred around our organic abattoir, Wootton Organic Wholesale processes all Daylesford Organic’s own-brand meat products within the group.
As our Operations & Buying Director, you will have full accountability for the ongoing success of this key business unit. You will work closely with the Abattoir General Manager to ensure 100% fulfilment of all internal and external sales channels within the Daylesford Organic group, including Wholesale, Retail, Production, and E-commerce. You will be responsible for sourcing and procuring 3rd party finished meat, farm live animals and primals. Knowledge of and experience working with similar organic farms is essential.
- Negotiating 3rd party meat supply prices to maintain margins throughout the Daylesford Supply chain
- Consistent review of and addressing of any carcass balance issues and ensuring full utilisation of our farm animals
- To maintain effective communication with senior stakeholders across the organisation including Daylesford Farms, Wholesale and Supply Chain
- Hold regular reviews with 3rd party suppliers to ensure fulfilment and quality targets are achieved
- Maintain up to date knowledge of any category related NPD within the Daylesford meat range
- Create and implement best practice policies, processes, and procedures to aid and improve the business
- Provide weekly, monthly and quarterly reports to Agricultural & Operations Director and Shareholders
- Full responsibility for Wootton Organic P&L
- Provide short, medium & long-term forecasting for Daylesford’s own farm livestock production
- Work with 3rd party suppliers on strategic planning on their supply of red and white meat to meet Daylesford’s demand forecasts
- Implement a 5-year strategic plan to facilitate the projected growth of Daylesford Meat supply ensuring future growth can be supported through the existing abattoir operation
- We are looking for an exceptional Operations/Buying/Procurement Director with substantial experience in the Meat industry, preferably within Organics. First-class business acumen is required along with experience in carcass balancing and margin management.
- Experience within a similar abattoir or meat processing environment
- Knowledge of red and white meat supply chains, ideally within Organics
- Knowledge and technical understanding of Meat processes and components
- Experience working with Senior Stakeholders
- Substantial supplier management skills
- First-class communication skills – both written and verbal
- Strategic thinker
- Commercially and financially astute
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Adept at short, medium and long-term planning and forecasting
- Substantial contract management experience with an exceptional eye for detail
This role is based at Wootton Organic in Staffordshire (ST10) and will require regular travel to Daylesford Farm in Gloucestershire. The position is primarily Monday to Friday, but flexibility will be required at key times.
To say thank you for your hard work, we will work with you to support your career progression and development. We will also provide a competitive salary, bonus scheme, company pension scheme, medical insurance and dental care schemes, access to the company’s healthy living centre and 33 days annual leave.
If you would like to be part of our truly unique business – we would love to hear from you.
We aim to attract, recruit and develop people from a wide range of backgrounds, with different perspectives, ideas and experiences. We seek to create a productive environment, representative of different cultures and groups, where everyone has an equal chance to succeed. If you feel you need any reasonable adjustments to be made in order to apply for a vacancy at Daylesford, please contact the Recruitment Team by visiting our website.