Head Chef - Newcastle Upon Tyne
At Cairn Group we're ambitious. With a varied and extensive UK portfolio of hotels, bars and restaurants in our portfolio, we're focused on continual growth and are in it for the long haul. We are a family owned business with family values at our core, with a growing team and sites UK wide.
About the role...
As Head Chef you will be responsible for maximising profit from all food produced and served by creating and sourcing great products and menus using local and seasonal produce together with strong control of costs. You will also be responsible for delivering outstanding menus and exceptional dishes.
This must be achieved in the context of improving customer satisfaction and repeat purchase, through delivery of consistently high standards of menu, produce, cooking processes and dish presentation.
A key goal will be to develop a strong reputation for the restaurant and develop/retain and recruit a highly motivated team whilst exceeding the annual target for food profit contribution.
You’ll be overall responsible for the Kitchen and its staff, directing all kitchen activities and ensuring the preparation of our delicious food - helping create memorable experiences for guests - whenever and wherever they dine. You’ll also ensure quality, kitchen maintenance, food safety procedures and inventory functions are kept to the highest standards - to make sure your kitchen is always running smoothly
- Excellent cooking skills with a strong understanding of produce and ingredients
- Previous experience as a Head Chef/Senior Chef Role in a similar venue
- The ability to write menus that are both creative and profitable
- Excellent leadership skills with experience of developing and leading a team
- Strong communication skills through a variety of means
- Flexible and adaptable, with the ability to stay calm under pressure, adapting your approach to complete routine and non-routine tasks
- Exceptional organisation and planning skills through Standard operating procedures. High attention to detail and accuracy – great at managing one’s own time and the time of the team
- Drive & self-motivated. Excellent knowledge of kitchen related legislative requirements/audits
- Experience of budget management with a good understanding of P&Ls and KPIs along with an understanding of sourcing excellent seasonal produce, supplier relationships, rota management, food, menu and labour cost control.
- Hold appropriate professional qualifications for the role and have HACCP knowledge and experience
The Royal Station Hotel, Newcastle is a grade 1 and 2 Victorian listed building boasting elegant architecture, officially opened by Queen Victoria in 1850. Today, we offer spacious rooms, an indulgent bar and restaurant, an indoor heated swimming pool and a fitness centre within its iconic walls.
- Cairn Group Staff Discount Scheme
- Retail and travel discounts
- Recruit a friend Scheme
- Induction and training programme
- Star of the Month & Golden Ticket Award
- Pension scheme
- Cairn Academy' Training & Development Opportunities
- Meals on Duty
- Cycle 2 work scheme*
(* Applies to positions above minimum wage)